Tuesday, July 21, 2009

swimming

We are enjoying summer here. We have been going to the pool, visiting friends, going on bike rides and going to special library programs. At the last minute, I decided to sign the kids up for swim lessons. I am subbing this week, so I'm up at the YMCA anyways and I get a huge discount being on staff. I've been trying to teach the kids on my own, but kids don't always listen as good to mom as they do to other teachers. We had to totally bribe Ivan who had decided he didn't want to go, he was too shy and would not do anything. I tried everything I could think of to help him change his attitude. I think all our other tactics helped, but the one that drove it home was the promise of a donut if he was good. I am delighted to say that they love it and are doing great- learning lots I haven't showed them and reinforcing what I had.

We had wonderful experiences in Saskatoon too. Here are videos from our time at the Kinsmen park. I remember being on these rides as a kid!

merry-go-round


dad's interview

4 comments:

Deana said...

Trying new things keeps life exciting! Way to go Angela's Dad!

Glad to hear Ivan gave in to the swimming lessons, he'll love it eventually! I was the same way when I was a kid, I hated to start anything because I was so nervous and scared...but once I got into it I loved it.

Andrea said...

Hopefully Ivan will soon get into a good swimming mood. So many people can't swim and it's such a live saver. To be able to swim is one of the most important things in life.

My mom is a swimmer and was a life guard. Thus we learned swimming from the beginning. I never had swimming lessons from someone else but mom until I was in elementary school. And at that point I was one of the best. :D

Btw, I can't believe it took your dad 60 years to take a ride on a karussel. Wow! But, now he did, thanks to his grandchildren. Go Ian!

GMS said...

I always got dizzy on Merry-go-rounds & never liked anything that went high like a Ferris Wheel

Hope the plane ride down is smooth.

I quit swimming lessons when I realized I had to jump in water deeper than I was tall.
Hope Ivan does better.

Anonymous said...

Dad,

You are so funny. I guess it's always good to have things that you've never done before so you can always try new things.

As per the Ivan swimming, I agree with Andrea, swimming is an important thing to know. You don't realize how important of course until you need it.