Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Rides





The kinsmen park has a couple of rides- a merry-go-round and a train. It used to have a ferris wheel, but I guess not anymore. The kids were so excited. Ivan and Dominique called the merry-go-round a carousel. I think they must have learned that from Merry Poppins. Dad rode too. He has always had a zest for all things fun, but when we got off, we found out that he had never been on one. So way to go dad! He was on a merry-go-round once as a kid, but the horse he wanted was taken. There was only one animal left and it didn't move. So, better late than never. We also rode the train. After that, we went to a water park where I had one of my biggest scares ever.

The water was not all that deep, but when Dominique went down the slide, it was so fast, she landed on her butt in the water- where she sat on the bottom, not getting up, totally submerged. I was right there at the edge, holding Emora and the camera, and yelled at Dominique to stand up. Then SWOOSH, another kid slid down and landed on top of Dominique. Now Dominique could not get up if she tried. The other child was pushing Dominique under even more as she tried to get off her. The lifeguard jumped in and pulled Dominique up and the other child off. It was frightening to say the least. Dominique wanted to attempt the slide later, but got scared at the top. I don't blame her. I had hoped she would have tried again and let me catch her to overcome her fear, but at the same time, we were all a little rattled by the incident. I didn't even post the pictures of the slide. Don't want to see if for a little bit. I'm just so thankful that she is OK and that everything turned out fine.

3 comments:

Ian said...

Dominique is a tough kid and she will soon get over it. I almost drowned in a dugout and my brother rescued me by pulling me by the hair.I was terrified of getting into water deeper than my stomach and only overcame it by learning to swim at age 12.

Ian said...

I just remembered that I was actually 10 because it was in 1958 when I learned to swim.

GMS said...

I agree that must have been really very scary & so happy it turned out well.