Saturday, July 29, 2006

we send our love

Today is a sad day for the MacLeods and Gittins. Mom and dad are still in Europe and although it's dad's birthday today, it is also the day he finds out that his only sister, my aunt Laveena, passed away. She had cancer, as did my grandmother (dad's mom) who neither I or even mom ever met as she passed away when dad was still in high school. We are thankful that aunt Laveena didn't suffer much or long. I didn't get to see her recently, but I got to talk with her on the phone a week ago and she said she wasn't in pain and was quite enjoying all the visitors who were coming to see her and the conversations they were sharing about their lives.



I believe the word that best describes aunt Laveena is vibrant. Even as I talked to her on the phone, as she faced her own death, she had a cheery disposition. She had a very unique voice that rang with vitality even as she lay sick in bed. Aunt Laveena came to both my and my sister's wedding, which meant a lot to us. She was the only daughter of my grandparents, dad's only sister and as you can see from the above picture (of her and her brothers), she lit up a room with her smile and presence. I really enjoyed in the last few years, at weddings, hearing stories of them growing up. Dad explained that his view of growing up was tainted by the pain of his mother's illness and his parents being older by then. Aunt Laveena, being many years older shared stories of happier and younger days. It was good to hear her perspective and know about extended relatives through her storytelling.

While she is not with us physically, I know that her vibrance lives on in our memories and in our love for her. May we remember her and cherish our relationship and love with her. She will always be that shinning beauty in the MacLeod family, if only in our hearts and minds. My love goes out to aunt Laveena's family, to Wyn, Sion and Rhian as well as to her brothers: Donald, Duff, Archie, Peter and Dad. We are sorry for your and our loss and pray for comfort and peace through this time. I wish I was there with you, to cry with you and hug you and show you that I am with you in your sorrow, but all I can do is send my love and assure you that she is a part of all of us and will not be forgotten.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry for the loss in your family Angela.

Anonymous said...

I heard the bad news yesterday from Jenn and Andrew. I am really sorry for you and hope you will find some comfort.

With great love,
Andrea

Heimdahl said...

Thinking and praying for your family.
Andrew

Lady J said...

Angela I am so sorry to hear about the loss in your family. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, and especially your Dad. God is with you every step of the way as you face your sadness and sorrow and grieve this loss. May you feel His presence around you now and always.