Wednesday, July 19, 2006

the sweet sound of silence

I'm definitely a people person, always have been, always will be. I love gatherings of friends in a bunch or just one on one. I really, really enjoy my family and the sounds of my family. I don't think there is anything more delightful than your own child's laugh or attemps at communication. This is one of our favorite "Ivan expressions". He says: ready go, only it sounds more like weddy doe. Not sure where he picked that up. I think his dad.



Today however, I have been entranced, captivated, enthralled with another sound: the sweet sound of silence. Ahh, no screaming, no power struggles, no two people or more wanted my attention, just quiet shattered only momentarily by the tiny squeals of our precious new daughter.

She's a week and a day old and I'm stunned by her existence, her beauty, her wholeness. Thank you designer and friend!!! Thank you, thank you.

Also thanks to Brian for this hiatus. I think every mom again should have an experience like what I've had the last two days. Time to just be with baby, to hog the bed, hang out during those night time wake hours and sleep in late, eat chocolate and pre-made foods, catch up on fun stuff like e-mail and reading. I so needed this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Silent moments are really precious to all of us. It makes us stop and think and realx and enjoy.
But my silent moments are not complete silent, I always hear the wind, the birds, the energy coming from the things around me. That relaxes me even more and makes me feel safe and complete.

Love

Anonymous said...

When I first brought Max home, Steve and my mom went for 2 whole hours to Target to buy all that we needed since we found out he was a boy...oh and all of the clearance Halloween stuff since he was born on Halloween!

But those two hours I will treasure forever. They were just ours. After nine months of him being in my belly and then everyone touching and holding him...I just wanted to check him out for myself.

I'm glad you got that special time and love the video like always!

Lady J said...

I love that feeling of awe that overtakes you as you stare at your newborn, knowing that they are your own flesh and blood, but still wondering where they came from and how they got here, then dreaming about the future and wondering a thousand things about them. It's been 4 yrs for me and I am still in awe when I hold Harrison and wonder 'how did I get to be his mom?' and often, 'who let me be a mom, what were they thinking?' and my favorite, 'I'm not old enough to have a 4 yr old!!!!' But don't get me wrong, I still need time to myself to rejuvenate...it makes me a better mom!