Friday, July 14, 2006

Twins 20 months apart?


I don't even know how to put into words all that we are feeling and experiencing at this time as we welcome our daughter home. We have definitely been blanketed in love from friends and family. We have food piling up in the fridge as friend after friend brings cooked meals to us. This is such an incredible treat so that I can just try to get through the day adjusting to feedings and having two little people to see after, plus getting to share the joy with well wishers and not have to worry about cooking- no one wants to cook at a time like this, but I sure do want to eat! Brian has been awesome, helping get the house back in order some and helping with the twosome so that I can spoil myself with a shower or snack!

Ivan has blown my mind with his love for his sister. He has this cute little smile (that I have yet to catch on camera) whenever he sees his sister. He started the morning calling for nanna, but found solace in the muffins she left in the fridge, which he gladly helps himself to. Then he realized that the baby was still here. He always showed me where the baby was (under my shirt), but he knows now that the baby is Dominique and he gets that little knowing smile, like this in person way is so much better. He reaches for her throughout the day and gives her kisses, plus inspects and tries out all her baby tools (he squeezed into her car seat and tried to get in her swing- not recommended). When he takes her in his arms, he gets very serious, like he is contemplating the awesome responsibility of being her older brother. I am thrilled to find how natural it is to have this infectious love for Ivan grow in me even as I experience the rising tide of attachement to Dominique. Love really does multiply and there is always enough for everyone. I'm awed at this new dimension to Ivan and so very honored to hold, nurture, love and know our precious Dominique.

While we don't want to constantly compare our second to our first, it's hard not to see a resemblance. Can you guess which baby is which? All these pictures were taken shortly after Ivan and Dominique's arrivals.













































Each day, Dominique already looks different to me as she becomes her own person. This picture brings out her baby blue eyes, but they will most likely change as well as the resemblances to her brother. As I think back on my siblings, who also looked like 3 year apart twins at different times in their growing up, similarities will surely wane in and out for Ivan and Dominique as well. It is eerie looking at her face, because sometimes it transports me back to Ivan the newborn and I have to remind myself I'm holding my girl, not experiencing some weird wripple like flashback in time. This also brings home to me how fast it all goes, how precious each and every day is and how critical it is to love and nurture these little gifts from heaven so that they can become all they can be, which is of course more than I could ever dream or imagine.

7 comments:

Kimberley said...

Ange they are both so beautiful. My niece resembled her big brother too when she was a baby. As you said, she outgrew that soon enough! If we lived closer together I'd help to fill your fridge! Instead I will wish you 2 kids who get along well and let you get some sleep!

Anonymous said...

I know that back when Ivan was this young, and everyone was telling you "to savor every moment because it goes so fast", you probably didn't fully comprehend how true that is. Now you have your own perspective, having chronicled all the stages of life of Ivan and now Dominique begins that short timeline of stages. Now, I say to you enjoy both of these parallel timelines, as they both will go faster than you think.

Don't forget to label the photos now. This will prevent future squabbles between Ivan and Dominique about who a picture is of, like my siblings are doing now.

GMS said...

Great pictures and great thoughts on the process you are totally involved in -- Protecting and nurturing lives. The future unfolds daily.

Monica said...

What a beautiful baby girl! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Dominique Ivan, Ivan Dominique??? Is that the order of the pictures? It is so special to watch the older sibling take care of the younger!

Lady J said...

They are so beautiful and precious and do look a lot alike. It will be interesting to see if that changes or not over time.

I am not a good cook, but I'm great with kids, so if we lived closer I'd be offering as much free babysitting as you could handle so you could rest! I'd come and cuddle that brand new baby of yours all up until you kicked me out of your house (I love newborns..well OK all babies really!) and Harrison and I would spoil Ivan and take him out for playdates and ice cream to give you a break!!! Wish we did live closer and our boys could be best buds! They can be "cousins" in spirit!!! Love you guys!

Madame Angela Baggett said...

Deana- way to go! You guessed right at the pics. Grandpa Ray- we were writing names, but mostly because we were thinking someone down the line may want to know, not because we thought we could mix up siblings! I'm glad we wrote now! Thanks for stopping by Monica.