Sunday, July 02, 2006

Ivan's French lesson to you.


Ivan's awesome auntie Jenn keeps him in a good supply of French books. We used to read all the words on this one, but found it too long at this point, so to add interest, I started just reading the categories and added a sign or/and sound with each page. It didn't take long for Ivan to learn them. He doesn't do them real well here since he was mostly interested in getting down to play, but hopefully his hints help some. See if you can figure out what the book says.











Here are some of the pages from the book Ivan and I are reading in the video. Can you guess what the categories are? Sorry bilinguals are excluded from the pictured ones (too easy), but go ahead and guess the ones we just did verbally. You have to guess what the categorization is by looking at the pictures and words and hopefully Ivan's hints will help too!

It's so amazing to me all that Ivan can learn so quickly, from words to actions and behaviors. Of course the most important learning at this point (I think) is the emotional ties. They say a child's brain is still making all the connections until age 3 and that under 5 is the most accelerated learning time. When the child is in a loving, supportive and interactive environment, the connectors are formed best. Abused children may not make the connectors and are harmed in their mental and emotional development, which will affect all areas of life.

I wish every child had the opportunity to grow up in loving families that encouraged and spurred them on to the best of their abilities. I wish every parent knew how to interact and give unselfishly to their child. I wish we could help every family become their best, but I know how hard it is for me to change myself. This can only be by the power of the lover and creator.

3 comments:

Lady J said...

Tres bien Ivan...tu es deja bilingue! Harrison commence la pre-maternelle francaise au mois de Septembre a une ecole qui s'appelle La Coccinelle. Il a vraiement hate d'apprendre comment parle en francais, et va pouvoir te montrer ce qu'il a apris quand on se rencontre un jour!!! Continue avec ton francais Ivan!

Anonymous said...

Angela~ You don't officially know me but, I'm Jason's wife Charla~ (brian's cousin Jason) Anyways, I read your blog sometimes and always enjoy hearing about Ivan and his "adventures" in life! Jesse too, is learning and "redifining" the world it seems. I hope this baby comes soon! I pray that everything goes ok and she's a healthy "little miss"!! well, just wanted to say Hello and say I enjoy your posts!!

Madame Angela Baggett said...

Merci Netts.

Charla- I'm glad to know you are enjoying reading about our grand adventures. I was so glad to finally meet your mother-in-law, aunt Linda this year and we hope some day to come that way and see all of you. I would really love for Ivan to meet your Jesse. I guess they are second cousins. I have second cousins I'm really close to. Thanks for your prayers over our girl.