Tuesday, January 27, 2009

a surreal day





Pics of the grands showering love on the kids...



Our plans were that mom was going to watch the kids while I took Emora to her 1st Dr. appointment this morning. She was also going to finish up packing and making some chicken, then after lunch we would take her to the airport for her 2:20pm flight. Last night she got a call that her flight was canceled due to foreseen icy conditions. She booked another morning flight and we planned on Brian taking her and the kids. I skated to the pediatricians in the truck with the baby, while Brian scraped the car, the kids got dressed and mom removed items from her luggage thinking they are overweight.


The doctor said that Emora is great. She does have red eyes and a big nogging on her head from her grand entrance into the world. Neither of these are damage or hurt her. The eyes will turn back to white in the next couple of weeks and the big bump may be reabsorbed into her head or could calcify, which means that her head will have to grow around the bump, which could take a couple of years. The pediatrician said his son had one too and looks great now at age 23 and that her hair covers her bump. If her hair falls out, it may be more noticeable, but I didn't notice until the doctor told me and Brian just noticed last night after bathing her all week. Her great accomplishment is her weight gain. The Dr. said he's pleased if a baby regains her birth weight after 2 weeks. Emora gained half a pound in one week! He said that at her weight she should be able to go 3 and 4 hours between feedings, except that she needs some maturity to get there, but weight wise she could handle longer waits. Hear that Emora!! Our pediatrician is great. He is very knowledgeable and not just in the Dr. textbook way, but in the way of being a parent. He said that the 3rd is the hardest (why didn't anyone tell me), that the older ones will test the limits and try to do things they don't normally like jumping on the furniture. I'm thinking he must have stopped by the house yesterday and peaked in the windows. Or any day this last week!



Brian has not been feeling great, so after he skated in the car with mom and the kids at 25 miles/hour all the way to the airport, he came home and decided to take the rest of the day off. It was really nice. Cold and icy outside, but warm and quiet in the house as we all crashed. A friend had brought soup, salad and desert with tea bags over yesterday, so I didn't worry about supper or anything and we just recouped. It has been a wonderful day to hibernate.

4 comments:

Brandi Wilson said...

Let me see if I can make sense of this:

One child took up all my time and attention.

Two children seemed easier to me than one.

Three children threw me for a loop. I didn't have three for long.

Four children felt so good I thought I was getting away with something.

Bringing home the fifth child made me feel blessed among women.

I don't know why it was hard to adjust to three. I've heard that from a lot of people. The good news is that it doesn't actually reflect the personality of the third child. Ours couldn't be much sweeter. She's a joy to me.

GMS said...

Glad to hear your day ended well & the pics are great as usual. I pray y'all continue to rest & adjust.

Ian said...

I'm glad that you let your mom come home! Tomorrow it is supposed to be +3 C, so she must have brought some of that Texas warmth with her.

Jan Kelley said...

I am so touched by the father that Brian is and the apparent devotion that you both have for each other and for the family.