Thursday, January 15, 2009

Happy Birthday!

As I write this post, I am not sure if we are going to be celebrating one or two birthdays today. It's for sure Brian's birthday, but baby is also due today, so if I'm in labor, it could be her birthday too, which would be cool since Ivan and I share a day. But I'm actually writing this a week in advance, so I don't know what is going as you read this.

I did want to write though and brag on Brian. He is such a great husband to me and unlike many other people's partners, is very helpful to me with house stuff, child rearing and understanding what it is like to be with the toddlers 24-7. He is good to listen and bring realness to our lives, but has learned to be flexible and accommodate all of our personalities and chaos, despite having grown up as an only child. He cherishes us and time with us and we soak it up. This pic was taken by Ivan who obviously looks up to Brian. His other biggest fan, (after me) is Dominique and I'm sure our next daughter will feel the same way.

Of course we never know what kind of parents we will be until we become one and I've been so pleased by the way that Brian has embraced his part as a parent. He is involved, loving and has become more and more patient, even letting the kids "help" him and tag along in the garden or with house projects- like making their fort/swing set this Christmas. He really loves them and they really love him. He spends time with them, plays with them, gives me breaks by taking them for me from time to time and tries to spend special time with them individually. In a world where fathers have often relinquished their roles and place in parenting, at times physically, socially, spiritually or emotionally, I'm so thankful that Brian is present on all those levels.

Brian is not too uppity to try new things and has taken on a new venture that he is enjoying- house flipping. I think it's so amazing that he just tried out something so new and different for himself and has grown to love it so much already. I know it's hard to learn new things and he is learning everyday, so I am thankful for his stamina, humility and stick-to-itness. Here he is in the first house he is the owner/ flipper of. He works with two other guys and they do beautiful work to make a gorgeous, functional home out of something old and run down.

Hope your birthday is grand Brian!!! We love you.

9 comments:

Ian said...

Happy birthday to Brian and I'm hoping happy birth day for your new daughter also!

GrampaRay said...

Happy birth day son. I'm very proud of you.

Anonymous said...

Happy Brithday Brian! Hope you can add Number 3 to your family.

The house looks great, though I don't know how it looked before. But I would move in right away. (I am still not sure what house flipping means, though.)

Wish you all the best

jenn with two n's said...

Happy 38th Birthday Brian! May it be a wonderful year. Looking forward to meeting baby E. Baggett!

Kimberley said...

Happy Birthday Brian!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Angela for the wonderful tribute to Brian. I say ditto to every point. I think he did a wonderful job on "his" first house. Just remember he couldn't do it if you weren't by his side. Happy birthday Brian.

Davis Family said...

I won't let Wes read this post as he has been dying to "flip" a house and I have been the one putting the breaks on. I keep insisting he finish our house projects before taking on a differnt house! Wes would be so jelous if I showed him - great work Brian (and happy b-day)!! Hard work and we really hope it pays off for you!

armacleod said...

The house looks great form the outside. I hope that you can keep at the house flipping Brian it sounds like you might be good/great at it. Always pays to have a second career ;)

Happy Birthday. No matter what you are doing today and in the next few days I hope you will have a great time.

Also to Andrea's comment: House flipping is the act of buying an old, run down house for a cheap price, renovating it (thus increasing its resale value,) and then selling it.
If done correctly, Profit!!!

Anonymous said...

Andrew: I was unaware that I ever had a FIRST career...

Thanks all for the compliments. I can't take the credit. My partner has been doing this for 7 years. I am merely learning from him while managing the financial part.