Saturday, January 22, 2011

Our crazy temps.

It was -33 celcius here last week. Sunday it's supposed to get to -3 or so and Monday +1C. To my dear friends in the South and others who haven't lived in cold climates. This sudden winter warming is called a chinook. It is a weird time when people will suddenly feel act summer is here, although it is what is considered "winter cold" in Abilene, here, I can about guarantee that I will see some crazy Canadian outside in shorts and others in t-shirts. Hey when it is much colder than that and I will see insane teenagers in a shirt with no jacket or someone with no mitts, meanwhile I am bundled up with my little eye slits showing. But when the temperature suddenly swings 30 degrees, it really does feel very warm, it's all perspective I guess.

So to give you some perspective. Here is a visual of just how cold -30 is. They say -40 Celcius is the same as -40 F, but most people who live in the world of Fareinheit have probably never been somewhere when it dipped down to minus 40. I have friends who read this (Tighe, this one is for you!) who asks me how cold it actually gets. Dad was saying that frozen water turns into steam/snow when thrown up in the air in -30. Some people in the city of Regina, just next door to us, did just that. The link is here. There are more videos on youtube.

1 comment:

Kimberley said...

There's a great explanation of a Chinook on the CBC website (sorry I don't have the exact link).

I love the Chinooks! It's such a nice break from winter. We took Nathan on his first outdoor walk today.