Thursday, January 06, 2011

family haircuts!

The other night Brian said to Ivan that maybe they should get their haircut. Since school starts back in the morning, we figured last night was a good time to get it done. But before I'd started on the guys, I had a couple of still scissor trigger happy girls on my hands. They too wanted cuts.


I started with Emora and tidied up a bit in the front where she had chopped off a bunch. Maybe it will look a little more refined now? We'll see once it's dry.








Then it was Dominique's turn. I usually just trim her bangs and trim the back, but she kept saying she wanted it cut short and showed me where "Emora" (so she says) cut Dominique's hair the other day close to her jaw line. I looked to Brian with terror in my eyes. That short? She kept saying yes, yes! I've always wanted to let the kids have their way with hair, but I love her long hair, even if it makes her cry everyday when we brush it.






Brian said to cut it how she wants it, so I started cutting in the front- super short. Then I went to the other side and cut it the same length. I've never cut her hair like this and usually am working with curly hair which is much more forgiving, or Ivan's hair who seems to look great even if I make a mistake and have to go shorter. At this point I have short on the sides and am about to start on the back and Dominique decides that that was enough! We told her she could not have the back long and the sides super short (so much for us letting her have her own haircut style!)

She burst out in tears! YIKES! Now I'm super sad too, all that gorgeous hair! We told her that if we do the rest short, it will not hurt to comb anymore in the mornings and she lifted her chin and told me to cut it. It made me a bit sick to see all that beautiful hair on the floor.

But she was now running through the house full of joy, so excited about her haircut. She has asked me 10 times if I will cut it like that for her for when she is in school. I may never get to see her in long hair again at this rate!



Hair, what a weird thing! But I am SO glad she likes it now. Not sure if I do. Brian reassured me that he always saw her one day with a bob and I am really looking forward to no more tearful mornings- that was the worst!


She was showing us how she now looks like one of the dancers in her ballet dance video and Ivan keeps saying she looks like "Luscious" at his school. Well she is luscious and so precious to us, hair or no hair!

7 comments:

Olivia said...

She looks like a little lady! It is adorable.

Deana said...

Aw....she's adorable! We always prefer long hair on Abbey, but when she was younger she always wanted short hair...she didn't like brushing her hair. Now you'd think it was a hobby of hers! And she loves her long hair. :)

Nana said...

Dominique, you are "ADORABLE" !! Your hair really looks thick. Whose next!??

Ian said...

Dominique certainly has a different look.

Janet said...

You did an awesome job! I am too scared to cut hair, so I applaud you!!! It really suits her!

jenn with two n's said...

It's cute but I hear you! John always like long hair. Whenever Immy's hair gets wet she says its long like Dominique's...looks like she'll have to find a new comparison. Glad she likes it and that there are no more tears (for all of you!)

Madame Angela Baggett said...

Thanks so much! Now that it is day time, her hair is dry and doing it's bit of wave, I can see it is far from being a professional job, but it was our first attempt and I'm a bit scared to try and fix it! Ah well, she loves it and the joy she's had all day with it and how she actually enjoyed and wanted to take care of her hair today was so worth it.