Monday, January 24, 2011

a lot harder than I realized!

So I think my doctor was a little overly optimistic. He said some people have no more pain a couple of hours after surgery or a few days. But then I was reading a pamphlet before surgery that said I would be able to return to a "desk" job a week after surgery and regular activities in 1-2 months. I guess he had injected some numbing into my knee during surgery. When that wore off Sat. it was no longer a fun, easy ride. Felt like someone was hacking off my leg with a hand saw! Poor Brian is getting the brunt of everything, trying to take care of the kids, manage the house and do everything for me. I have some leg exercises I'm supposed to be doing, but two of them I can't do at all yet. If I can't see any improvement when I try them again tonight or tomorrow, I'm going to call the therapist and see if this is normal or to be expected.

Brian learned where all the dishes and spices were tonight. He realized that he hadn't made a meal in our new house yet. I had some leftovers on hand for the first few meals, but we've eaten those. The kids are learning to help out too, so it's a great life lesson in caring for others. I guess I just didn't realize that I wouldn't be able to walk for quite a while or be in this much pain from it. The only thing I had to compare it to was having babies, but that gets better each day once you leave the hospital. I was a bit surprised when it got worse, way worse for my leg. Physical therapy really sucks too. It's so hard and discouraging. But the swelling is going down and I keep hoping that tomorrow I'll be able to do more. I dream of skating and skiing to remind myself that I couldn't keep being restricted in everything forever with the way my knee was.

I have a friend who volunteered to come clean my house Wed! Looking forward to that ;)

Also, I just found out yesterday that my cousin, who was my age, was killed in a car accident yesterday. He is the father of 4 or 5 kids. We gave Ivan his middle name "Truth" after we heard that Wayne had given the name to his son. He loved his kids a lot and was always sending pictures out of them. He has 3 siblings, a wife, the kids, grandma and so many friends just reeling in pain. Be praying for them. I can not imagine their depths of loss and so even with my knee being stupid, I can hug my husband and children and know that this season will pass, we will come through this well, and perhaps even stronger and that we are so very blessed. There is a lot of pain in the world and we have been sheltered from so much.

5 comments:

Nana said...

So sorry to hear of the death of your cousin. Is this the cousin from Atlanta? It will take time on the healing of your knee. We have a friend that had a complete hip replacement in June. She was up and about in a very short time. I guess knees and hips are 2 different problems when it comes to healing. I know your nurse, cook babysitter,contractor etc. is doing his usual great job. Also know he will be extremely happy when you are up and about.

Kimberley said...

I'm so sorry about the loss of your cousin.

After my knee surgery it was a couple of weeks before I could easily bend my knee. For the most part I just hobbled around without bending it. I was back at school the next day and back to work in a few days.

jenn with two n's said...

Love you sis!

Ian said...

Thanks for the update.

Mark said...

Thanks for letting us know about your recovery. And thanks especially for sharing your loss. "A shared joy is double joy, a shared sorrow is a half-sorrow" (Swedish Proverb)

I am praying for you and your family this evening.