Saturday, August 26, 2006

snaps: cute and quirky vol. 14


I think I know why the twos are terrible. It's the same reason why the teens are hard, the pre-grad is hard and the forty is hard. It's that "wonderful" time of transition. I think as a human race, we prefer for the most part to be comfortable. Comfortable means stability and controle and confidence. Change is uncertainty, redifining self, courage and is just plain difficult, at times exciting, but also hard. All of the ages mentioned above are times of transition in life: who am I? how do I go from this step to the next? what do I want to do? am I accomplishing what is important? Of course, I don't think ALL these questions are going through Ivan's mind presently, but he is definitely still part baby and part little boy. He is dependant in so many ways, but stretching his wings. He's learning what he wants, how to get it and that mommy doesn't always say "yes" when he finally gets there. It's a tough place to be. But it's also fun. He can still swing in a little kid swing, but he's old enough for ice cream. He can cry over little things and get his booty wiped by others and can climb up the slides and go down by himself.

Meanwhile, Dominique is totally dependant and very compliant. She is discovering sights and sounds, feels and smells. She has started looking at toys hanging from her swing and smiles at her parents and friends who gleefully coo and make fools of themselves in the hopes of seeing her smile. And her smiles are worth all the humiliation.

Ivan brings laughter wherever he goes. From things he does to things he says. When we both get laughing, things get real crazy!
Myka didn't want to wear her hat at her party. So I told Ivan to put it on. He loves to be the center of attention and get the room roaring, which they did.



All this makes me wonder what Dominique's personality will be like. Any guesses?

5 comments:

GMS said...

Partly depends on whether she will be a middler or the last "baby".

What do you think?

GMS said...

My answer depends on your answer, but, maybe you don't want the whole world to know your plans or, maybe, you just haven't decided yourselves.

Madame Angela Baggett said...

trying to be sly gms??? A lot of people think that with a boy and girl, we have formed the perfect foursome, but to me I ask: if they are so awesome, why not more? Of course we also say to ourselves that we'll just go one child at a time and see how we survive or thrive! I'm guessing and hoping we'll have more.

GMS said...

Then I will predict that Dominique will be the "perfect" middle child. Very adaptable, wanting to please, but also easy to overlook. Of course, that is NOT true at this stage because she is still "the baby". Right now she deserves and is getting all the attention the baby requires. I'm sure she enjoys it.

By the way, I have not asked the parents of the twins (one boy, one girl) if they plan more or not. I do feel like that is a personal question that is usually answered in time.

Madame Angela Baggett said...

I don't mind the question. We've been telling people we would like 4 children (two of each if possible!) The reactions we get are hillarious. My hispanic friend said 4 or more is good. Like 4 is a low end number. The ladies from a swim class I subbed (white upper middle class ladies) could not imagine more than 2 and thought even 1 was enough. I just think children are amazing and wonderful and the more the better, but can't imagine trying to raise more than 4 and giving them all the love and attention I want to dedicate to a child. We have 2 friends with 6 kids and while you can't imagine their family with any one of them missing, I think that would be too crazy for me! Plus you can no longer fit in a mini van!