Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Purple eyes


Dad said that when I was a baby my eyes were purple for a time during their mutation from blue to brown. Whenever they tried to get a picture, it just came out red. Well, Dominique has blue eyes, but this picture came out all red and one could imagine they were purple. Everyday I wonder if her eyes will stay the same color or change. There is a chance they could stay blue. Brown eyes are dominant, which I have, but I know I carry green/blue from dad and mom has a blue recessive gene, plus there are blue eyes on Brian's side. They say all newborns have blue eyes, but Ivan's weren't. They were just dark. Then they were khaki green, then turned dark brown, which is very becoming on him. I always wanted blue eyes, of course purple would have been way cool! I once met a girl with two different colored eyes. I was confused by this and apparently so was she, because when I asked her what color her eyes were she said she didn't know, that they were always changing! I told mom about her and she confirmed that this is possible, that some people's eye color doesn't stabilize until they are adults. Freaky huh? I have always been fascinated by biology. I've even considered finding biology books at the library to read for fun. (I know, pretty weird). Maybe it's because I'm a mix of so many different backgrounds and I find it fun to find out what traits came from who. The possibilities are so vaste. We assumed our children would look like me since curly hair, dark skin and brown eyes are dominant, but so far our kids have pretty much straight hair, pale skin and brown and blue eyes. So really the sky's the limit. Sometimes it looks like Dominique even has blond highlights (as seen in this picture) and Ivan's hair reflects blond and red in the sun. So much fun ;)

What color are your eyes and have you ever wanted another color?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My eyes are brown, but in middle school I had my aunt, who worked for an eye doctor, get me some purple contacts. I was so cool...ha ha ha!

I didn't even need contacts...but i put those stupid things in every day!

I've always liked my dark brown eyes. Some day they are hazel colored.

Anonymous said...

My eyes are blue, grey, green with a hint of yellow and brown. But my pass says they are blue.
I never wanted aa differen colour because my dad has blue eyes too and we are so alike. (Mom has brown eyes and so does my brother and he is so like her.)

My grandfather thought about how the kids of Andrew and me would look like. He is good in biology and so that was funny to hear about that. Although you never know if it will turn out like that.

Kimberley said...

My eyes are blue - I like them. Sometimes I think about getting coloured contacts, but mostly for the change.

Becky said...

Cayla's eyes are still blue, I can't remember when Zane's changed to hazel. Amanda has blue eyes too. I have blue eyes, but the kids' dads had hazel to brown eyes. I had hoped for red hair on Cayla but it seems she will have dark hair. Her siblings both have light brown to blond hair.

My hair was always dish water blonde. I never liked it so I change it frequently, but I am glad I have blue eyes.