Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Our swingin' son



Remember swinging as a kid at the playground? We used to hound mom to give us underducks. Did you love those? Do you know what they are? Where someone pushing you on the swing runs under you as they push you high above their heads. That was so fun. Slides were great too, merry-go-rounds and teeter-totters (neither of which they have any more). The playground we liked had a recreation center (a building where a city worker did activities with the kids) and a little paddling pool. Jennifer and I went a lot those summers. I remember making candles, making rubex cube costumes for the parade we were in and making stone soup, which I thought was the best tasting soup ever. Playgrounds aren't like they used to be. My friends won't let their kids go to their apartment playground, where there are frequently fights and conflicts.

What was your favorite park or playground ride? Do you think parks are worse then they used to be? What can be done to make them better?

1 comment:

GMS said...

I don't particularly like rides. I get dizzy sometimes even riding in a car. Swinging back and forth even makes me want to do that unmentionable.

My favorite part about playgrounds was taking my kids and helping them to enjoy the experience, especially when we were at Ft. Bragg in North Carolina and we had a small playground very close that 8 or 10 other families shared. That way someone else was always there.

I'm not sure playgrounds are any more dangerous. Society just seems to think we should pad our children from every bump and scrape.