Sunday, May 28, 2006

Remembering

Brian is from a family who served in the military several generations and cousins still do to this day. I'm from a line of pacifists. But whatever your view on past or current wars, it is humbling to hear the stories of attrocities and turmoil people have been through for a cause they believed in.

Brian's grandfather was part of a group that helped release people from a concentration camp. He said they were barely recognizable as humans, just skin and bones. You knew that image was forever seared in his mind. It's hard for my generation to imagine WWII and even though there are plenty of people now in wars all over the world, it seems so far away from us and it's easy to forget and live our easy, comfortable lives.

Big Buddy also served in WWII. His experience was also one of a kind, not just because of the intense situations he faced, but all that was aggravated by racism. He drove a truck and described being lost and finally stumbling upon an american camp, but since it was a white camp, they were not welcome and had to continue on their way, because his fellow americans would not receive them although they were supposedly fighting on the same side. How ironic, that people went to fight racism, but couldn't see their own as equally grievous.

Everyday women, children, young and old are trapped in war torn countries. We have friends here who escaped their home country in the Congo, then their adopted country in Ivory Coast due to war. I can not imagine living in that fear, having children and living in that kind of danger day in and out, not to mention all the perversion and horror that go along with war.

I am so thankful that I have never had to live that way and that my family is all safe. I also realize with the people we know that there are wars just as intense here, on a different level. There are women and children, young and old suffering abuse, violence and horror in their own homes. There are also many people fighting wars within themselves. My heart goes out to these vast seas of people in torment. May they have peace. May we all have peace.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Grandfather Baggett: WWI
Grandfather Baggett: WWII
Great Uncle Luther Weaver: died in the Pearl harbor attack
Great Uncle Bo Shipp: Korea
My dad: Viet Nam
Cousin John: Desert Shield (Iraq/Kuwait in '91)
Cousin Scott: currently in Navy special forces (SEAL) and going to Iraq soon.
Me: nothing

Lady J said...

Angela~I love how you tackle all the important issues, with such honesty, compassion, understanding and grace. I wish more people could see the world through your eyes. Once again, I feel honoured to call you my friend. Keep up the fantastic and deep writing you do, it always leaves me with something to think about, for my own life and for what I want for Harrison! Thanks for the insight! It is entries like this that keep me coming back everyday or 2 to fill my spiritual "cup"!

Anonymous said...

The passage of the "Civil Rights Law", that was pushed through congress by Conservatives, and signed into law by ex military man turned president ( Ike ), I believe was the result of the honorable service of Big Buddy and all the black men that served with him in WWII in segregated armed services. Incidentally, The Marine Corps was the only integrated service, and always had been. The corps did not care what your skin color was, only could you fight.

I believe that Ike and all white people in America felt compelled to do something about our segregated society because of what they saw in WWII. The separate black and white Army units in Europe vs black and white fighting and dying side by side in the Pacific islands.

A careful study of history of American politics of the early 1950s will show this connection. Big Buddy's service was a double edged sword, defeating the Axis powers and killing segregation in America. He should receive a double honor on this day.

Ian said...

It is so reassuring to be following the Prince of Peace and to know ahead of time what the final outcome will be in our spiritual battle and that is that we win! BTW, on your dad's side, my Uncle Archie MacLeod was in uniform (a mechanic for the Canadian army) and your Grandpa MacLeod was not a pacifist. However, I changed my mind on this issue mostly as a result of Uncle Cecil Bailey who was a militant pacifist and after studying the scriptures more deaply. I truely believe that it is best to "turn the other cheek."

Anonymous said...

I'm a pacifist myself and my family and it's good that way. I don't understand why people need to fight.

Madame Angela Baggett said...

Brian- not true. All of eternity was changed without raising a sword or gun, by a single person. Our wars just don't involve much blood, sometimes it is a lifetime of pain, of engaging, of being on the front lines. But don't be looking for any medals, I don't think they hand them out for what we do!!

Netts- thanks, that was very encouraging!

Grampa Ray- Thanks so much for the history blurb and beautiful testimony to Big Buddy's service! It all comes to life when you know people who were really there! Amazing times and to think we are only a couple of generations away from when so much change occured.

Dad- I didn't know all that about our family. Great to hear the details!

Andrea- I'm torn. I'm seeing more and more that as countries and fellow humans we have a responsibility to help others in such horrid abuse, even far away, we are all one. I'm not convinced that further force and violence are the solution, but I don't know how else vast societal and national change can occur in many of these countries. I don't think "please" will be enough. I do like Brian's solution for N.Korea. He says we should set up all you can eat buffets and that the starving N.Korean military would all surrender and tumble the dictator government.