Wednesday, May 24, 2006

the littlest stick player

Ivan loves it when his daddy plays the stick and daddy's been practicing a lot since he had a gig last weekend. Ivan wants to play in the instrument parts, push and turn buttons, plug and unplug and PLAY! Daddy wants a private studio! In the meantime, they work out time share with the stick. Actually I'm amazed how Ivan will sit and watch or stand and applaud or dance and not meddle too much (easy for me to say).

This morning when daddy left, Ivan decided it was time for a concert. He pulled out the belt and refused to have it removed all morning. He took out cords, the cleaning cloth and opened the bottom latch of the stick case. Had he been taller, he would have had the instrument out too. I told him that we couldn't play without daddy, that I didn't have a clue how to play or even plug it in and that we really didn't need to be messing with it just the two of us. I have the feeling that in a year or so, Ivan will know how to plug it in and get it playing without me or even his daddy.

Tonight, he took a board off the bbq grill and was pretend playing stick on it! Cute huh? So, I know I have another project on the horizon, crafting a play chapman stick for the little guy. It won't make sound like daddy's stick, but it'll be better than a board!

Last week we got Ivan's first stick "concert" on video. It was a private performance, with Smacky being his most dancingnest listener. We present on the humongous adult sized stick, our very own Ivan, the littlest stick player (as far as we know).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

so cute! maybe one of those cheap toy guitars would do the trick. I've seen them at the dollar store.

Ian said...

We went to an Acappella concert yesterday. Ivan would have loved it too I'm sure although it went a bit late and there were some younger children who fell asleep. How many days to the new one? Not that anyone is counting!

Anonymous said...

My first and only boycott was an Acappella concert...

Ian said...

How come?

Lady J said...

Musician in the making! Very cute! I will have to go back and read your comments on how to get connected to 'youtube' to post videos...or I could just pick up the phone and call you to ask! That's better...I'll do that...I promise!

Anonymous said...

How come?

Feb 1988. I was 17 and attending a huge youth rally in San Antonio featuring Acapella.

Acapella was still the original trio (I think). I never liked them because a) I don't like a capella music and b) I thought they were arrogant/pretentious.

After some preaching, 5 or 6 kids went up to change their lives and be baptised.

Then it was announced that the baptisms would be delayed so that the Acapella show could go on time.

I spent the rest of the night in the parking lot...

Not so much because a baptism was delayed. But because I didn't care for the priorities identified.

Silly? Maybe. But I was 17.

Guess I showed them...;)