Wednesday, May 10, 2006

adopted grands



Ivan, Grandma Wynetta and I went to see our friend in the nursing home in Anson. I guess it had been a while, 'cause upon arrival, Ivan got a little freaked to see a bunch of elderly in wheelchairs playing bingo. But he soon got into it and quickly became the "helper". After the lady would call out a number, he would try to repeat it, especially if it ended in 9. He also liked putting up the chips. Our friend Mary won twice and would get so excited that it would take her a good 30 seconds or more before she could call out "Bingo!".

Then as they got Mary ready for our walk, Ivan "entertained" the residents with piano tunes. His style is what I would call avant-garde jazz. Serious, I think Brian used to have some recordings that didn't sound much better. One lady took a particular liking to Ivan and had to give him a kiss (no wonder the place freaks him a little). I did feel bad for her, she really loved seeing Ivan and wanted to keep him, when we went out on the porch, she kept ramming the door trying to get out to see our little wonder. She has a don't escape device that looks all the doors and inside my heart wept for this lady who is pretty whole in body, but is trapped in her mind and can't get out.

Other's are doing great in mind and not as well in body. Big Buddy celebrated his 89th birthday last month. We enjoyed feasting with him at a buffet. Ivan is definitely Texan. He eats brisket like there is no tomorow (one northerner friend said it's the meat they throw out up north!), he'll also eat his previously untouched food if it's wrapped in a tortilla. He's got an apetite Texas sized too. One morning he ate 2 1/2 pieces of French toast and downed it with a cup of whole milk. This night, he tested the kitchen's ability to keep filling the fried okra platter (another Texan trait, he'll eat anything fried!) We all had a great time.



So, do you feel older, younger or exactly like your age? And do you ACT older or younger or just what people would expect of a ____ year old?

3 comments:

Madame Angela Baggett said...

I can tell I'm older in that I don't feel like a kid, teenager or even a twenty-something. The teens next door of course think I'm ancient, but in my mind, I don't think of myself as a thirtysomething either. I think I act younger than my age sometimes with kids, playing. Many of the kids come to our house to see "if Angela can play". That always cracks me up! Other times, I know I'm older and act it.

GMS said...

I'm with Angela in that you only act as old as you feel. Working with the old population is challenging and some actually think I am their mother.
I know my grandmother used to say that she didn't realize she was as old as she was until she looked down at her hands.

Anonymous said...

Yesterday I went to the store to buy a bottle of vine for dinner with friends.
The lady asked me if I was allowed to buy that and at first I was confused. I am 21 years old and she asks me that! (You are allowed to by vine at 18.)
So I got my ID card out and it was fine. But that never happend to me and so I was confused but amused too.

I feel younger I guess, but act grown up when it's the time for it. *g* Andrew would say I am too childish but I call him too stiff and grown up. *lol*