Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Ivan and the big men

We'll see if this is childhood curiosity or if there really is something to the gender differences, 'cause Ivan is fascinated with all things motorized. He will watch his dad cut the grass for hours. Several nights ago at a party with FOOD, he kept running away to check out the lawnmower. At Big Buddy's he runs to every broken piece of machinery sitting in the yard and wants to carry all the tools, especially the dangerous sharp ones!

He imitates us perfectly. If he sees his daddy's gum, he makes chewing imitations, if big buddy grunts, so does Ivan and he's learnt from me to put lotion on his legs and chapstick on his lips.

Brian and Big Buddy were working on fixing our rottotiller. Of course Ivan loved being right there! Here he was in the middle of all the action, I'm sure thinking he was one of the big guys doing their thing. Notice how Ivan grunts like an old man when he gets up!




Do you think gender differences are mostly learned or inherited?

6 comments:

Madame Angela Baggett said...

I was telling my neighbor today that I should have taken wood working instead of home ec. I also joke that most women clean house when they nest, but I start building things! I think a lot has to do with our individual personalities, but think some things are more common with women or men because of differences, not just learning (generally speaking of course ). Women and even young girl toddlers tend to be more verbal and social and nurturing I believe in about every culture (of course with individual exceptions). Men are more physical in their interactions (generally speaking) and this makes sense too, since they have stronger builds. But you can never fit every person in a mould, there will always be exceptions. IMHO

Ian said...

I heard about a study where they gave dolls to little boys and cars and trucks to little girls. The researchers were astounded to record that the boys were driving the dolls around the ground like cars and the girls were cuddling the cars and trucks as if they were dolls!

Anonymous said...

That is too cute!!! Grrrrunt!

Lady J said...

I agree with your comments Angela! These traits of boys being more physical and girls being more nurturing are passed down from generation to generation, no matter how many dolls we give our boys and how many trucks we buy for our girls! However, this does NOT mean we cannot teach those behaviors to the opposite sex, and that is the key. I think we are inherently born with a strong sense of what it is to be male or female, but we can learn some of the 'opposite' traits. I enjoyed playing with cars and trucks, though I did prefer dolls, and Harrison is like Ivan and definately has a fascination for trucks, trains, tools etc that I never had (or ever will!), however he will also cuddle his doll or stuffed animal and call it his baby. I think we need to offer our children choices, and never put them down or make them feel silly or uncomfortable for whichever toy they gravitate towards at that moment. Girls can have just as much fun in the mud and there is nothing more beautiful than a sensitive man in the making!!!

Lady J said...

Woah! I just looked at my comment and think I wrote my own blog!

Madame Angela Baggett said...

BTW, I told Big Buddy we may get Ivan a doll when the baby is born so he will have a baby and not be so jealous maybe. Big Buddy thought we may as well shoot Ivan in the foot! He was horrified. So I guess we'll have to leave the toy baby at home when we go see Big Buddy of another generation and time!