Wednesday, February 07, 2007

What's this?

It's been difficult to dress for weather here. I mean, I'm not complaining. I know there are places where it's unbearably cold (hats off, I mean tuques on to my Canadian friends and family). Yesterday Dominique wore 3 outfits. She started in a warm outfit since we had planned a walk at the park and the mornings are cool. She spilled her sippy cup of juice all over it and got a slightly warmer outfit since we had scrapped the park plans and it was now mid-morning and much warmer. By afternoon, it was in the twenties Celcius (70ies F) and we were hot with the sun on us, so she got to wear this for the first time!

Ivan had a funny reaction to his shorts. As I was putting them on he cried out: "What's this?", then as I pulled them up, he exclaimed: "legs!" I guess he doesn't remember last summer or at least now wants the vocabulary for it.

Dominique has been sleeping at night and not at all in the day (ok, maybe 2 little catnaps- 20 or 30 minutes). I looked over to see this tonight as I was putting up the food. Sweet girl ;)







Here is my latest stroke of creative insanity. I don't know why I get these ideas, but I had some wood set aside to make Ivan a play Chapman Stick, Brian's main instrument. I have been procrastinating on it, but the other day he was walking around with his vacuum across his chest saying: "play stick!" I knew it was time to get him something a little more accommodating. I was quite horrified to see on the Stick web site that they had stolen my idea in advance and are already making little versions of the stick. It's the alto stick, but mine came a lot cheaper- although it doesn't work. It does make some sound, which I was pleasantly surprised to discover, but nothing in tune and it can't amplify.




I am also excited to declare that no one was injured in the production of our stick, certainly no animals, but I have sore callused hands, a 2 week dirty floor and Ivan got super glue on his hands today. It was quite traumatic for him. I am very thankful to the small voice that told me to notice the liquid on the table and bottle in his hands so that I could rush him to the sink for water and soap before his fingers glued together. He has a little residue now, a potent reminder that obedience is better than to pay the consequences. If only every lesson were so pain-free.

6 comments:

jenn with two n's said...

I laughed out loud reading Ivan's comments. I know we will feel that way when we go on our trip. What no boots, mitts, toques, winter jackets? Glad you can be outside! I am also glad that Mimi is sleeping nights...that would make nights more restful for you. Is she cutting teeth? These are great pics. The stick looks like the real thing. Your creativity is a true gift. I am amazed at what you've made Ivan and Mimi. (This stick is much better than the alto stick on the site--probably because I know some of the work you had to do!) Mimi and Ivan are blessed to have you for their mom. That first pic of Mimi is great for another reason--she seems to have ears growing out of her hat--too cute.
Love you
Jenn

Davis Family said...

I have the same reaction as Ivan to shorts every single summer. When I pull them on - LEGS! Mine have such a nice blue tinge by the end of the winter.
Berta

Anonymous said...

Hi Angela

The mini-stick looks cool. Pass on to Brian that I listen to his cd when writing.

When you are working with Krazy Glue, you should really keep a jar of nail polish remover close by. Dad used to stick his fingers together every once in a while, and he said that nail polish remover works to strip off Krazy Glue. (Never tried it myself.)

-N-

Lin said...

Too cute! I love the stick you made for Ivan. Jenn is right they are lucky to have you for their mom. You are awesome. That is funny how Ivan reacted. I can't wait to be able to wear shorts again! My reaction won't be quite as funny but if I don't lose this winter weight it might be, "Where are my legs? I did have them." he-he

Nana said...

The pictures just get better and better. Ivan just cracks me up! His responses are so natural and honest. The stick is a real look-a-like. I guess he will want you to make him a carrying case next. You know you have to have all of the gear. I'm glad Dominique is sleeping through the night for y'all I also know you need a little more then a 20-30 min break during the day.

Anonymous said...

How cute you made him a matching stick! That is so special!!!