Saturday, February 10, 2007

not a twenty-something

I was trying to teach Ivan how to do a somersault. I said WAS. I discovered I'm not a twenty-something anymore. I helped him through the motions, then tried to show by example (sounds like a good mommy thing to do). I got in position and tucked my head under- and let me tell you- it was scary stuff. There is a lot of me to roll over myself. But I irresponsibly pushed aside my fear, since I felt I was already committed being in position and all. I don't remember somersaults hurting. This one did. I rolled all right, narrowly missing Dominique's swing and a side table. Immediately, my neck and head hurt as well as my left thigh. Several hours later, my neck feels like it does when it has a crick in it and my thigh feels like I'm giving it a good stretch- only I'm not so sure it's all good. I told my elderly neighbor what I had done and at least he got a good laugh out of it. He told me that I'm to old to do stuff like that- thanks for the info. I know that now! And to think I was showing some other kids how to do cartwheels the other summer. Ivan may just have to learn all that on his own- or I could get some twenty-something over here.

A more tranquil moment between the sane parent and our non-walking, non-crawling, just calmly sitting daughter.


Our total live wire doing his best impression of a rock star.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry I wasn't there, otherwise I would have done it for you. *lol* But it is funny, you have to admit that.
Maybe some of the older kids in the street can teach him. I remember that you have a lot of them around. I am sure they will be happy to "help out".

Anonymous said...

Very funny Angela - can you set up the video camera and try it again for us?

Lady J said...

As I was reading your story, I was thinking 'I need to warn her about cartwheels'...I guess you get the picture!!! Some things are just better left to figure out on your own! I didn't show Harrison, but he seems to have mastered the fine art of somersaults all on his own! I give you an "A" for effort!

GMS said...

Not very many of us are still twenty-somethings.
Those of us in the grandparent stage may even have trouble getting down on their level.

Be careful, Angela!
Ivan and Dominique need a Mommy who can do all the necessary Mommy tasks and can learn the acrobatic tricks from someone less essential to their lives.

Madame Angela Baggett said...

andrea- I appreciate your totally useless to me volunteering since you are all the way in Germany!! ;) Glad you got a good laugh- I think it's hillarious too.

tim- no way! Writing about an embarrassing thing is one thing, showing video or reattempting near death defying feats are out of the question.

Netts- A for effort and S for Stupididy!

gms- yep, no more gymnastics for me- which I thought I'd figured out at age 11. I guess time softens the memories of this sport's cruelties.

Ian said...

I do summersaults and breakfalls twice a week and it doesn't hurt a bit. Also, I once fell while standing on top of a seven foot ladder (don't try this!) while I was trimming trees. I automatically did a breakfall when I hit the ground and even I was suprised that I didn't even have a bruise when I stood up. That is one advantage for a pacifist who does a martial art like Judo . . . one can fall (or do a summersault) and not get hurt.