Monday, February 19, 2007

Ivan the Texan


Yep, I hate to admit it, but Ivan has been developing his pronunciation skills at "The Southern Drawl School of Y'alls" Here is a written example of the fine way that this undercover institution has affected local Abilenian advertising. It's very affordable to have a child trained in this art of speaking. They just have to listen and mimic, no entrance fee, just mockery for the rest of their days from the populace at large. Perhaps some will call it charming. We can hope for the best. I am very thankful however that his drawl is not accompanied by the annoying high pitch squeal voice that some poor Texans seem to have inherited or developed for all of our detriment. Accents are funny. No one thinks they have one. It's everyone else that sounds funny.



What is your favorite accent?

7 comments:

Pamela said...

I definately love listening to my Brazilian friends speaking English. It makes me smile! I've been told that I don't have an accent when i speak portuguese but I know that isn't always true. Late at night when I'm tired I often find it hard to make words come out right when I am speaking in Portuguese. I also know that I have learned Portuguese with an accent from Sao Paulo. Like Canada and the US different regions of Brazil have different accents. I'm content with my Paulista accent. I prefer the Sao Paulo accent to the accent from Rio or Salvador!

Nana said...

I thought I enjoyed listening to English accent best, but then I heard the Texas twang of Ivan.

Davis Family said...

Accent or not I just don't believe him. He's two years old - they are never tired!! Until they are sound asleep that is.
Berta

Anonymous said...

Well, there is no better accent than Derry/Northern Ireland accent. Try to listen to them and you will have a hard time. Even though you are native speaker. Got to love it!!!

Lady J said...

I told my bestfriend (OK one of them...you are one too!) that I was in love with her husband when he answered the phone when I called her in Australia!!! Does that give you a clue?! Can't beat the Aussie accent!

Lin said...

I agree with Jeannette, the australian accent is my favourite. I love "kricky"! But any accent is cool so long as you can understand what they are saying. I watch the movie Snatch and can't for the life of me figure out what Brad Pitt is saying half the time.

Anonymous said...

Take a look at this...

http://memovies.com/php/mm-Page.php?page=home


I thought of Mr. Ivan when I saw it! And I still have to send his music toy...it is in a box...ready to go...but I just haven't made it to the P.O...soon soon soon! Sorry it's taken so long!