Monday, August 03, 2009

our 1st quincenera




We went to our first Quincenera party for our neighbor's daughter who just turned 15. It was so beautiful and fabulous. For those of you who aren't familiar with this tradition, it is a big celebration for a person who turns 15 to celebrate her coming of age. They had a mass in the morning, then a meal and dance at night. The kids were of course enthralled with the beautiful "princess" girl and LOVED the dancing. Dominique kept wanting to go out on the dance floor even without us, so I let her and at one point, I was a bit concerned because she kept dancing really close to a couple doing the 2 step. Then I realized that she was learning it! She was right behind the guy doing all the steps he did- 2 steps to one side, then 2 to the other. It was so amazing! Yep, she's only 3 and she already dances better than her parents.

Today we had an appointment to go to and Ivan was being a typical older brother, taking something from Dominique, then running away laughing at his sister's squeals of torment. I told him to stop and started counting. When he still didn't obey, I told him he would not get to watch a video. Oh, boy, was he upset with that. Finally, he came up to me, very respectfully and whispered "I want a punishment. Can I trade for a spanking?" So we traded. I spanked him and he still got to watch the video and he sure didn't take anything from Dominique again- at least that day.

5 comments:

Davis Family said...

Ivan kills me!! Ha ha ha..

Anonymous said...

Sounds like he is starting to learn to listen to his parents. And it also sounds like Mimi will be a better dancer then us all. ;)

GMS said...

Beautiful pictures.
Love Emora's blue/blue eyes.
Sounds like Ivan is learning the art of negotiation.

Nana said...

Ivan is becoming quite the negotiator, and Dominique the dancer, I can't wait to learn what "big blue eyes" specialty will be>

Ian said...

What kind of a lame spanking would that be? When I was a kid I would have traded anything to get out of a spanking!