Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The kid's garden



I told you it's hot right? So the idea is to do water everyday or maybe stay inside where it's air conditioned. But then, we keep the thermostat pretty high, so you can't say it's cool inside either. While the kids swam, I kept the hose on, moving it around the yard in a last ditch effort to not lose all of our grass. This created mud in the patches that are bare and apparently a perfect garden spot as the kids planted a garden when I went inside. It is made up of yard toys and twigs, artfully sticking out of the dirt. Ivan wants to go water it. Brian asked them what they planted. Did you know that you can grow pepperoni pizzas? Who would have thought? Only preschoolers that's who! They also planted some peppers and eggplant- which all look curiously like dry twigs, sticking out of the ground.


We've never planted or eaten eggplant, if you were wondering. Ivan saw them at the store and wanted me to buy one. Since I'm not a big fan, I said not this time. Apparently I'm going to need to get one, because he is now suddenly drawn to the vegetable. I'm quite positive that once it's cooked and on the plate, he will immediately lose this affinity to it and I'll end up with a big dish of a vegetable that I'm not crazy about to eat. Maybe Emora will like it? Anyways we'll have to try it, because how can you not get a vegetable that he actually asks for??? That would be pretty much insane.

Do you have a surefire way to make it ever so delicious? I only tried someone's at Olive Garden and wasn't impressed.

5 comments:

nana said...

Tomato sauce, cheese and whatever makes you happy! I must say those are two of the cutest farmers I've seen in a long time.

Kimberley said...

Sorry, I'm not a fan of eggplant either.

GMS said...

I don't think I have ever even had eggplant, that I know of.

Anonymous said...

Use it in small amounts at a time in stir fry or you can also use a good pasta ,sauce with cheese over it again not too much at a time.You can stuffed it with a tasty seasoned meat and bake it as well.They most likely wont like it this way. Enjoy mom

Ian said...

That is quite the leap, Dominique.