Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Ivan- age 2









It took forever (about a month, and at least 30 hours), but it's finally done. I painted from two separate pictures, the body and background from one and the head from another pose. I then made grids and copied all the details onto the canvas. Then I painted a section at a time. That's not how they recommend doing it, but that's my way.

I actually enjoyed the process more this time. Usually I can hardly wait for it to be done so that I can have the piece, but I liked the newness of using a canvas as opposed to paper, which was much more slippery and allowed for some mixing and removal. I was also able to enjoy painting the shapes, colors and textures. My least favorite part is doing the face. Painting faces, especially of people I know is so difficult! Pants with glitches in rendition are still pants, even the hand allowed some mercy, but not the face.

At one point I noticed one brow was slightly too big and that made it totally not Ivan, then the shadows were too dark, then too light, then too dark... Which results in about 20 layers of paint over the same place, which means that it no longer holds the same luminescent quality as the rest of the portrait. I'm still not totally pleased with it. His smile was bigger somehow in the real picture, but this is a painting. If I'd wanted something exactly the same, I could have just gotten the picture blown up.

Ivan is sweet about it. Whenever he walks by his portrait, he says: "It's beautiful mommy". I'll do one of Dominique at age 2 also.

14 comments:

Deana said...

you are amazing! know what my favorite part is? his hands. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is amazing. I couldn't have done it like that. Faces are always so difficult and noses...well, they never turn out the way they should. Good job Angela, you can be pround of it.

GMS said...

God has blessed you with such great talent, perseverance, and patience.
The process looks overwhelming to me, but, then again, I have never painted, except the store bought paint-by-number kits.
Where have you hung it in your home?

Anonymous said...

Ditto to Ivan's assessment of your art.

I love that you " actually enjoyed the process more this time". Shows patience, maturity, and discovery of one of the hidden values in art.

I also can appreciate your rebellious statement "That's not how they recommend doing it, but that's my way". My art teacher actually encouraged that attitude in me, to spur creativity. I always wanted strict guidelines and regimentation, because of my upbringing, so it was a stretch for me.

Faces are the greatest challenge because that is how non-art people will judge your talent, and it is true that the face is the essence of our outward appearance. I believe you nailed it, but you had an unfair advantage being his mom, and knowing him better than anyone else in the world. The rest is just "Talent". By the way, I think you overcame the eyebrow problem.

armacleod said...

That looks pretty professional to me. It looks fantastic. Keep it up. You have a talent. Start doing some other ones before Dominique is two and you will find that your skill will keep on improving. And do it the way you want to. In the end it is never cheating, since it is your work.

Monica said...

Wow! It IS beautiful! I'm so impressed, with your talent and with your perseverance!

Lady J said...

WOW! That is all I can say! WOW! You have been blessed with many talents, and are fortunate to have discovered some of them already...I am still waiting to find mine!!! Did you know you could paint? I assume I can't, so have never tried...but now that I see your work, it sparks something in me to want to try new things! Makes me wonder what I can do that I don't know about yet.....

Heather said...

It is beautiful! What a great job and wonderful talent to have and use. I agree on the faces bit, I think it is also way easier to paint/draw a strangers face then it is someone you know.

Pamela said...

I think it is fantastic!!!! You did a great job! Maybe I can see the real deal next month when I am in Abilene for my class.

jenn with two n's said...

So glad you posted Ivan's portrait. He's right--it's beautiful! I do not think I have the patience and diligence to do portraiture. One more orchid painting to go and I'll post them. I love being able to share a love for art with you!

Davis Family said...

Wow - atagirl!

Anonymous said...

WOW Ang! That is completly amazing!!!!! YOu seem to always have something on the go! Great job, I am truely impressed!
J'nea

Anonymous said...

Amazing work Angela!!
Sharon

Kimberley said...

You did a fine job Ange. I remember all the years that I took art classes, portraits were definetely the hardest for me to do. Very impressive indeed!