Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Great Uncle Cecil Bailey


My favorite memory of Great Uncle Cecil is from 1992. I was on a trip and staying with Aunt Annie Clemenson in Idaho. It was amazing to look at photos of people way back in my lineage and a very enriching weekend. Uncle Cecil and Aunt Lavine were also staying the night, and while they were not using walkers then, they were not what you would call full of youth, at least not in body. There was nothing slowed about their spirits though, because after they had said their goodnights, I heard Uncle Cecil call out to his sweetheart and tell her "I'll race you down the stairs". I about fell out of my chair laughing at them, so in love, so full of zest.

Uncle Cecil had personality oozing from his pores. He could keep infant, child and adult spellbound with his tales and songs. His stocky short self was so full of love for us all.

But he missed his sweetheart painfully and ached for his better home. I can see him in my Spirit kissing other family members already there, embracing friends and heroes of the faith, telling stories, singing tales, embracing the King, adoring the lamb.

Uncle Cecil we were blessed by the part you had in our lives, by your love, your fervor and your sincerity. Your legend lives on in us, even as your Spirit cheers us on from above.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrew told me yesterday about Uncle Cecil and I am very sorry for your loss. But on the other hand he was of high age and I am sure he had a wonderful life. Unfortunately I was not able to get to know him better. But for the short time I met him he was a wonderful person.

Nana said...

I was sorry to hear of your families loss. He and your aunt were very kind to me at y'alls wedding.