Thursday, November 19, 2009

some things I'm loving


I'm sort of kinda homeschooling Ivan in kindergarten this year. We are hating it and loving it. Today, neither of us felt like doing it, so we read some of our new library books instead. In short order the girls woke up from naps anyways and so we all went outside to paint pictures on the fence. Our fence sucks. It's many different mismatched pieces, toppling over and patches multiple times. The plan is to replace it in the new year and since one of my questions for Ivan in "pretend school" as he calls it, was "what is your favorite activity?" and his answer was "painting". I thought we could paint the fence outside. It has been so pretty in the afternoons and we have lots of cheap paint. Ivan had a blast.
Dominique enjoyed it for a while, but easily bores with painting the same thing over and over. Since I had given her strict instructions to only paint the fence and not herself, her siblings, toys, furniture, the porch, tree, swing set, her clothes or the pets, she ran out of options and interest after a while. Our worst moment was when I was trying to get more water for Ivan, he left his paint out and when we turned around Emora's mouth was completely black. A picture would have been awesome, because she looked so hilarious, but I was a bit anxious about scooping/ washing/scrubbing as much out as quickly as possible, it thought it would be a wee bit irresponsible to take time out to get the camera. Moments later, Saba decided that she needed a drink from our rinse cup, filled with paint infused water. All of that to say that I hope tempora paint isn't overly toxic.

Ivan was bragging to his dad that our activity was inspired by his response to my question. I love how I can discover more about him from the school activities and questions. It's wonderful to be surprised by his answers and to know how his mind and emotions work.

So what's your favorite activity?

No comments: