Friday, December 05, 2008

What a trooper!

I took Ivan to the dentist today. He got 4 of his 7 cavities filled, which means we have to go back again in Feb.! The place just opened, but they are so good and I guess word travels fast. When we first went, getting an appointment was easy, now they have nothing open for months! He was so incredible. I've had fillings, lots of them, but not all at the same time! He did great with the first 2 and they kept saying how incredible he was. They said he was acting more like a 7 year old than a 4 year old. The dentist and technitian were so super and when he flinched on the next teeth, they had to give him shots and it went kind of downhill from there. I think he was tired and ready to go home. It didn't help that we waited a good 45 min. in the waiting room before they even called us. He was ready to go home before they'd even touched him. But they are by far the best dental experience I've ever seen or had nonetheless. I was so thankful for my friend Tighe who kept Dominique for me. She didn't need to see all the operations and Ivan needed my undivided attention, not to mention that would have been a bit of a zoo for the dentist too with a two-year old adding to the mix.

I managed not to cry when I could see that it was hurting Ivan and that he had had enough. I could tell they really sped things up as he cried through the last filling. Poor guy. Well one side done, one to go. They did pretty white fillings, so you can't even tell he has them. Maybe the fillings will protect those teeth some too so we don't have to do this again! One can hope.

While in Houston, we found this elf bearing gifts along with his beautiful assistant.


Here's the video of Ivan's first ride on a non-training wheels bike.

3 comments:

GMS said...

I just had a cavity filled this week too - way in the back & it hurt me & ached afterward, too. If I were a little younger, I might have even cried.
I'm glad you got half of it done & over with.

Anonymous said...

I had a few done sometime in Nov. too and did not care for it too much either.My fear lies with the anesthetic since my nerves are close to the surface and never nice when that gets frozen.mom

Kimberley said...

I hope the last 3 go quickly and painlessly for him. Did they suggest sealants for him? That will help protect him from future cavities. I still get them - even though the insurance company will cover them for kids!