Saturday, December 06, 2008

Toddler tales

Dominique loves Dora and all her Dora toys/books/cup/plate... Dora is a character on a popular kid's video/tv show. The cute thing is that Dominique does not call her Dora. If you've heard the theme song, it starts with repeating "do do do do Dora" (4 times) then goes into "Dora, Dora, Dora the explorer..." So Dominique calls her "do do do do Dora" and is often heard saying things like: "Where is my do do do do Dora?" Depending on what she is looking for we have to guess if it's the plate, bowl, cup, toy, book...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the middle of the night, Dominique came crying into our room, crying "I want Ivan" "where's Ivan". I don't know if she'd had a nightmare in which he was hurt or what, but I took her back to her room, lifted her up so that she could see Ivan sleeping peacefully through the mayhem and put her back in her bed where she slept through the rest of the night. I think it's so sweet that they are best friends.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dominique and I were in the kitchen goofing around when a stench filtered through the air. She said "Are you stinky?" I replied- "no, who's stinky?". "Ivan?" she not so innocently suggested. I argued "He's not even in the room. Did you toot?" She shook her head vehemently "Nooooooooo... I farted".


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ivan and Dominique were calmly finishing up their pancake breakfast when the phone rang. If you don't have toddlers, let me explain. The phone ringing is like an alarm. It means- mom is busy and we can create all the chaos we want and it will make her really angry and it will give us a lot of mischevious fun. So within two minutes of talking on the phone, when the screeching had escalated to the point of someone is getting hurt or something will get wrecked, I went to examine the situation. (Did I also mention that the alarm means run off into another room so that it will take mom some time to reach us?) Dominique was violently pushing the eject button on the computer, opening the DVD player and Ivan was holding onto the DVD tray that was trying in vain to disappear back into the computer. I could almost hear the DVD player crying out "I have nothing to do with this, please leave me out of this, let me go back to my comfortable little home". So, like any good mom, I screamed at them and banned them from videos for the rest of the day.

Ivan does not understanding bannings too well. He thinks that if he keeps asking every minute or so, he will eventually wear me down and I will give in. So, after about 5 requests for a video, I told him that if he asked me again to watch a video today that I was going to spank his bum. A minute later, he came up to me with the sweetest smile and said "mom, can you?" and he pointed to the computer with frantic gestures "um... put something on?". The answer was still no, but I admire his ability to think through the rules and create a new tactic. So now I specified that that is still asking and that he better not do it again.

6 comments:

jenn with two n's said...

Thanks for making me smile! Dominique is such a ham. Ivan is pretty clever too. By the way the package for Imogen's birthday arrived. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Mom you said not to ask! He followed the request and didn't ask.

Monica said...

What is it about Dora? Linaya is also addicted to Dora, and needs either her Dora plate, bowl, cup,m fork or spoon at every meal, her Dora blanket to sleep, and asks 50 million times a day to watch her DVDs. Whoever created Dora sure knows 2 year old girls!

Olivia said...

ANGELA! These are SO funny. I nearly pee'd my pants. I love kids and more than that I love when people love their kids and have fun with them and laugh. Keep up these posts!

Ian said...

That is one qualification that you have to have when you are a mom---you have to be smarter than your kids!

Davis Family said...

Bronwyn calls Dora - dodo. Cute stories my goodness.
By the way, when Gavin tries to wear me down or refuses to put something away or listen I now threaten to throw the toy or video away. This is somehow way scarier to him than a spanking! I think I would have to fake it - I'm too cheap to throw away perfectly good toys. But he wouldn't need to know that - right?