Friday, December 26, 2008

Our Christmas Day



We had a wonderful time together for Christmas day. We enjoyed waffle breakfast and opened tons of gifts before we had to get the house in a bit of order, start a turkey and stuffing, house rearranging and party with friends. We had a huge houseful, so that was a bit crazy, but nice. It was most especially nice since my neighbor Linda saved the day. I had asked everyone to bring two side dishes, but instead she cooked all day and brought about 6 huge side dishes- which was very good because I think we might have run out of food! We demolished a 20 lb turkey and the African dishes were gone before I'd gotten a plate to fill. The funny thing is that we had 4 pies, cookies and a huge fruit salad, but barely any of that was gone. Mom said that Africans don't eat desert much, but apparently they like turkey ;)

The kids got special gifts from even great uncles and aunts. Notice all the Canada shirts (even one for the baby). And Uncle Archie made the doll crib for Dominique. Brian's Star Wars movie collection is complete once again (they better stop making movies). I'm glad mom liked the painting I made for her. She was captivated by a scene in Jamaica and it only took me most the year to get it painted. But it was all worth her excitement over it. A little piece of her "homeland"- do you still call it that when you've lived much longer elsewhere?

Apparently my sister and I still think the same way as we had both gotten doctor type kits for the kids and they also got two sets of tools. This actually turned out great since they both have a stethoscope and hammer... so they don't have to fight quite as much over it all. But then, I think they enjoy fighting some, so they make up reasons to get at each other. I think mom and dad forgot what it's like to be around toddlers 24-7 and I hope we don't scare them away forever, with the energy, squabbles, screaming, whining... Of course all the change in routine and holiday craziness has not necessarily brought out their best qualities.

Hope all of you enjoyed your Christmas and were able to get together with friends and/or family. Sorry we haven't posted our family pic yet. Some immediate family haven't gotten their copy yet, so I am making all the rest of you wait until the new year. Then we'll be adding another new member and have to do another picture! I can't believe our baby is nearly full term! Only 3 more weeks until due day! Dad hopes she'll come before he leaves Thurs. but I don't really think that will happen. Mom got me pajamas and a robe so I'll be all ready for my hospital stay and for those mornings once baby is here when getting dressed becomes a monumental task.


My videos aren't uploading, so I guess that means I've put enough pictures and blah, blah to fill this post. Maybe tomorrow it will work better ;)

3 comments:

GMS said...

Great Christmas story. Great pictures as usual.
Glad we sent $ to cut down on duplicates & hope you'll have some time to shop,

Anonymous said...

Dominique's doll will be well cared for with 2 Doctors in the house. It's nice to have a big group in for the holidays. Someone always thinks of things to do. Did Linda make tamales? We didn't have any this year. The cradle looks beautiful.

armacleod said...

Sounds like a blast.