Saturday, December 13, 2008

A wee bit busy



Sorry I've been a little negligent here. We've been just a wee bit busy (as my future sister-in-law would say). Last weekend we put up our tree and outdoor lights, plus Brian got our yard winterized. Monday, I had my last day with the Aim boys, but that seems like about 3 weeks ago. We've had multiple things going on everyday which can be very taxing on a 9 month pregnant lady and two toddlers. I got some Christmas shopping and projects done, had two fun nights sans children- a girls night out and a date night in with Brian. I surprised him with a fancy meal a week before our 10th anniv. It tasted good, but it's crazy trying to take care of kids, get the house clean and cook something fancy all at the same time. I was pretty wiped by evening to say the least.

Today was crazy, but fun too. It was super windy out, so Brian scratched his outdoor plans and got another Christmas project done- yeah Brian. Meanwhile, the kids and I made "lighter sabers" out of the paper at the end of the Christmas wrap, I finished up an ornament for Dominique, we decorated a ginger bread house (thanks Andrea) and enjoyed all being together.

We have a rule that the kids don't get desert if they don't eat supper and so decorating the ginger bread house with tons of candy they were not allowed to eat was pretty torturous for them, but they obeyed, mostly. I couldn't keep them from licking the icing from their fingers and then- to my horror or laughter (whichever wins out at the moment) licking the table and even picking icing off Dominique's shirt to eat. Yeah- gross.

So, what are your least favorite and favorite Christmas activities?

I'm not a shopper at the best of times, so that is torturous for me, but I have loved all the little celebrations- the parade, (the tree, which the kids are constantly re-decorating), decorating the gingerbread house, getting together with family (my parents fly in on the 23rd)... all the little things that give such joy to the kids and all the great ways to make memories and share experiences together.

6 comments:

GMS said...

Don't know what to say for sure.... I do like getting things for people they seem to need but usually I do it at the time & not at Christmas only.
Love the Christmas song & pictures.
Hope to talk soon.

Anonymous said...

I am quote! And mentioned twice. *wow* *haha*

I am glad you had so much fun with the gingerbread house. It looks like you added some candy. ;) But you did a wonderful job.

I like Christmas time in general. What I don't like is when they put out the Christmas stuff in September. End of November should be early enough. (Some stores don't even have Christmas chocolate anymore!)
I like the songs, and decoration, the Christmas market is my favourit. Mulled wine and rosted and sugared almonds, chocolate covered grapes...do I need to say more?

Ian said...

I liked the turkey Christmas dinner, decorating the tree and playing family games or board games like Monopoly, chess, Settlers of Catin, card games,or Scrabble. What I disliked most was cleaning up the kitchen.

Anonymous said...

The quartet was great. Your Christmas tree is beautiful. Re-decorating keeps a new fresh look for the holidays. When I know what I want to get people on my list and actually find it and get it wrapped. Wow what a great feeling. I treasure being with family. I guess thats why I traveled to Wisconsin for several years. Hope to spend Christmas with y'all next Christmas. I like having the inside and outside of the house decorated. Didn't have that while growing up. Guess thats why I tip the scale at times. A great love I have is doing the 2 luncheons for our friends and some of our widow ladies. That sure warms the heart. It's a great mix of people.

Gabita said...

Hello Angela:

How are you all?

Ready for the new baby?

Se you and I hope you the best always.

armacleod said...

My favorite things about Christmas is spending time with family and friends, second eating great food and I guess third getting presents. I guess I haven't gotten that "I want" out of my system. But mostly these days I don't ask for anything because I have most of what I need, friends, family, food, roof, and clothing, and a paying job. What else could you ask for?

The one thing I don't like so much, because I guess I am lazy is actually 2 things. One's a pet peeve of mine which is similar to Andrea. I don't like stores advertising Christmas before Halloween or before the end of November. My other thing is that I'm a bit too lazy to decorate. When I was younger I loved doing that, but lately this rat-race life I just don't feel like it. Is that a bad thing? I don't know.