Thursday, August 23, 2007

Not a little baby anymore



Dominique got some new clothes recently. Some clothes just change a child. It was a t-shirt and skirt. She looked 13 in them. Ok, at least 3 then! I think I've only just realized that I no longer have a baby. I know, I know, the presence of teeth, braidable hair, the fact that she can walk and say a few words should have tipped me off to this fact already, but I'm a little slow sometimes.

It is fun to see her personality come out. Well, that is the sweet side. Somehow I erroneously thought that a girl might be easier- like not so demanding or something. It's actually taken me be surprise when she protests with her screaming, writhing, hitting tactics. It both surprised me and made me think- oh,oh, here we go again! Back to the sweet side. I try not to laugh when she does it, because she only does it when she is visably upset, but when Dominique cries, she covers her mouth with her hand. I don't know where she got it from, but it's like she understands that her screams, or maybe her slobbering, crying mouth is not ladylike. At first I thought her teeth were hurting her, but I've been watching long enough to know that she'll get to crying about something first then cover her mouth. So cute, I'll have to take a picture. She'll really like that!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saba soaks up the love. I've totally neglected our dog since I've had kids. Now I find her more annoying than cute- hair, dirt, in my way, flees... Good thing the kids make up for my lack of kindness and generosity. She may go a couple of hours without eating, but if the kids hand feed her, she'll eat it all with delight.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haven't asked a question in a long time... What makes you look or feel older? younger?

4 comments:

Ian said...

Cute kids.
Re your question:
When I first get up in the morning and my joints are hurting, I feel like a grandpa. After a walking down the hall and doing a bit of stretching, I feel like I am 18 again and can take on the world.

GMS said...

Good answer, Ian.
Same for me, except I also ache and feel my age
right before bed whether I think I've done too much or not.
Being around the young help to make me feel young again.

Nana said...

There seem to be a longer list of things that make me feel "older". Having to write down date of birth on questionaires. Talking about past events to co-workers only to find out they hadn't been born yet! Realizing your only child is 36 years old! (wow, how time flies) Your younger sibling turns 62 in a couple of months and the older one is 66! (I thought I was 25) When at the doctors office the doctor says, "at your age you need to have ...." Also, menapause! Having 2 beautiful grandchildren! As for feeling young, at the end of a work day and you know you have worked circles around your young co-worker! Yeah!!

armacleod said...

Well I'm not nearly as old as the grandparents on this site, but the other day I found a really old tv show, I used to watch when I was a kid, on the internet the other day. I downloaded it and watched and I was amazed at how old it really looked. It was one of my favorite shows when I was a kid. (If you are wondering what it is it was the Ewoks cartoon TV show.) Seeing that for the first time in a dozen or more years made me feel old.