Friday, August 10, 2007

I'm tired of the potty and we just started!


I think the diaper corporations are in a conspiracy. Maybe I should have done cloth after all. Apparently they have made diapers so good now-a-days that young children are inhibited in their learning how to use the potty. Why do something totally foreign when the diaper is not a nuisance? I even tried putting a bunch of toilet paper in his diaper, so it would feel yucky. He never said a thing, but when I got him up to the YMCA to swim and opened his diaper in front of about 15 preschoolers and 3 careworkers, there I found a huge mess of soggy toilet paper all over his you know whats.




Tonight we got the closest ever to any action in the potty. I sat with him and read to him and hoisted him up in at least 5 different positions, poured water over him, cheered, encouraged- nothing. I know he had to go because I'd left his diaper off and gave him about a gallon of chocolate milk to drink and he was holding himself and asking for a diaper. When he asked for one, off we'd go to the potty. I told him to try not to go in his diaper and to ask for help to go potty if he felt like he had to go. After all the books were read (again) and he was tucked in, he came out saying he had to go potty. So we went again and read again and hung out for a very long time, until his head was falling over tired on my leg and he announced he was done. Of course there was nothing there.



His diaper was dry when I took him, so that made me wonder if (on top of not having potty success), he supressed the urge and could end up with other problems because I'm trying to get him to use the potty instead of the diaper. I'm sure all of you wanted to know all that.


Sorry I haven't blogged in so long. I've been painting. More to come on that...

Tomorrow we have a swim birthday party to attend for Myka and Alyx, then Sun. we will get to go see Shayshay. So I'm looking forward to the weekend.

In the last picture, Ivan is wearing what will be Dominique's halloween suit. Someone gave it to us and Ivan loves to take it down and put it on, which is getting more and more difficult to do since it's a size 2T.

If any of you don't feel too dignified to pray for potty abilities, we could use all the help we can get ;)

4 comments:

GMS said...

I wish I had some brilliant suggestion or magic wand, but, since I can't think of one, I definitely will be praying, especially for patience for Mom and awareness for Ivan.
Love y'all.

Deana said...

no ideas here either...unless you want to start using cloth now..eeew!

keep it up mommy! you are doing a good job!

Nana said...

Gosh, what to do. Since he wants to have a diaper on to potty, maybe you could try putting him in "big boy" underwear. Wish I had a better suggestion. God tells us to ask Him. I think this is a valid subject. The prayers are going up in Houston.

GMS said...

This is Sue's friend Christine. Nana's comment about big boy underware is the way to go. They need to be excited about being big without judgement or condemnation. My son jeffrey is what 'they' call an 'angel' child. Potty training is the first power struggle we had ever crossed. I had to use big boy character underware and let him have accidents. Then he realized the sensation. Also, putting 'targets' in the potty such as cheerios to aim at work well. Jeffrey and his cousin had to start by sitting backwards on the toilet to go. Standing came later. Jeffrey couldn't be forced to go. Many, many boys aren't ready until three. It takes a week or two of real underware and lots of changes of clothes and then it's done. Diapers and pull ups are from the devil... ha, ha! Now that I've completely overstepped my bounds I will say Yeah mom for trying but I would suggest giving it a break for a day or two and starting fresh. In motherly love, christine
ps. love is the key not punishment. Punishment can lead to long term negative effects that no one wants.