Saturday, April 29, 2006

Rock on!


We went to some friend's acreage for their dual 50th birthday parties. Danny and Vera are very unique. They are artistic and fun. They're into music, riding motorbikes, photography and ponds! Danny plays auxiliary percussion instruments, but used to play the drum set at the honkey tonks in their younger days. They have a photography company they run together, love to host people for parties, design ponds and are making a little haven out in the wilderness for people to go get recharged at. It was a great party, lots of beauty, music and good food. I met a couple of Canucks there from Edmonton. Ivan loved the space, the sounds, the sights, the trails through the woods, the brisket (some beef cut they cook down here), the balloons and especially the mismash band. He wanted to be right there in the middle of the action. He would rotate from grooving on the stage, to playing the bongos, to tapping on his daddy's amp, to trying to adjust the nobs on his daddy's amp, to playing with a balloon.


Here's our little drummer boy in action.


Ivan is very observant about sounds. He imitates the screams of other kids (Brian says with the same pitch and tone- I wouldn't have a clue!). He claps at the end of a song that we had as background music (I barely noticed it was on!) So maybe he'll turn musician on us. Interestingly, of Danny and Vera's three grown kids, the girl is a dancer and both the boys play drums- and play well! Kinda like the Vontrapp family with attitude!!

Haven't asked any questions in a while... have you ever played an instrument? Do you play now? What do you wish you could play?

6 comments:

Madame Angela Baggett said...

have you ever played an instrument? Do you play now? What do you wish you could play?

I took piano lessons, but didn't like to practice. I can't play anything now. I always imagined I'd like to play drums, but when Brian begged me to let him get me bongos, I knew I wouldn't want to practice. Maybe he'll have his dream with Ivan. I'm afraid I'll just always be a groopy!

Ian said...

One of our families from Liberia (The Samuel Brewer family) was invited over to Jennifer's for Sunday dinner a few weeks back. One of the kids noticed Jennifer's bongo drums, so I found another drum she had on the wall, Jennifer found a shaker and some castinets and pretty soon the whole family was singing and drumming, shaking and almost dancing to an African song. They truely did sing for their dinner. I think that some people are born musically tallented. Love your site.

Anonymous said...

I also took piano lessons, but didn't like the practice. Mostly I can pick through notes by ear and that wasn't allowed. Same in high-school band, I would wing it by ear and once again, not allowed. I've played flute, trumpet, french horn there...mastered none.

Now I have a mandolin. But...I can only play kids songs, which is okay with me...oh and I'll Fly Away...I'm practicing that one to play for my grandparents!

I've always wanted to play the piano well. Someday...

Lady J said...

I took piano for many years and can still play (not as well as I'd like!) and do play often now for Harrison. He is very interested and has asked me to teach him, begging me to "teach me the notes" which excites me to see him so anxious to learn at only 3 yrs old! He can already find middle C...I'm SO proud! Although I enjoy the piano and practicing never bothered me, I do wish I could play the violin, and hope to put Harrison in violin lessons, so I can live vicariously through him! Isn't that what parenting is all about?!

Madame Angela Baggett said...

Great music stories.
Dad- I wished I'd been there. It sounds like a blast. Our african friends can sing and transport you to other lands! It's amazing, but a little tricky to get them to start.
Deana- BTW, Brian thinks it is WAY cool that you took up the mandolin. He leans toward more unique instruments. He also played french horn, but his passion was the bass and now a truly unique instrument called the stick- his main instrument nowadays.
Netts-I love blogging and questions, I think I knew once that you played piano, but totally forgot. I think it is so beautiful that Harrison is intrigued now and already learning. Awesome! Ivan loves music and I can see that it could play a big part in his life, not much thanks to me though! Hopefully he'll be able to talk about it in French though!

Anonymous said...

I never took any kind of class and so I don't play an instrument. I'm better with singing, though Andrew wants to get me singing classes so I am better.
But I like the way I sing, I'm never off the key too much, just sounds to him like it. And it depends where I am and who is singing with me.