Friday, April 07, 2006

The clock


The idea to make my children clocks celebrating the moment they made their beautiful appearance on earth came to me before we even knew Ivan was a boy. I made his Texan style and painted his name, place time and date of birth on it. We're doing the same with our daughter... only you can't see the words yet, 'cause I'll only paint them after birth. I'll paint hands on the clock pointing to the time of birth with the date on the hands. Her name will go accross the top and the place near the bottom.

I discovered it is a lot harder to paint with Ivan in my life (go figure). Some projects that require sanding or drilling, I can do with him since he loves all the gadgets and action, but painting I have to hold off on until he's asleep, since he loves all the gadgets and wants to be in the action! This means nap time or after he goes to bed. Often lately, by the time nap time comes, I no longer have the creative or physical energy to paint and try to nap along with him, or get something done in the house.

I painted this one night when he went down early and Brian had a gig. I was just going to paint the bottom dark part, but then started on the sky, only to discover that I had to do the rest for it to blend well. It's not perfect, but as with all my very amateur creations, I reach a place of being satisfied with it (ie. it requires more work to fix than I'm ready to put into it- and I'm happy enough with the overall effect). Unfortunately, I learn as I'm going and am confident I could do a better job if I tried it again, but that is not going to happen. I did all the painting that night, minus the numbers, then had to drill the hole for the clock mechanism and a hole for it to hang from. I'm getting excited for our daughter to be here. She moves a lot now and can be seen pushing and moving even through my clothes. That must be a weird sight!

4 comments:

Kimberley said...

You may call yourself an amateur - but I think that it looks great. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Lady J said...

WOW! How lucky your children are to have you as a mom and what a beautiful way to celebrate their grand entry into this world! Wish I'd thought of it for Harrison! I can't think of a more perfect item to symbolize the exact moment in time they came into the world~a moment all their own, touched by God and helped by you. How magical. I know they will appreciate all that effort when they are older! Keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

You did a great job on the painting. You always could make it better, but you would never come to an end. So your decision to stop now is absolutly right. And furthermore you have other things going too.

GMS said...

"The clock" is awesome. Can't wait to see it in person. I would imagine the picture doesn't do justice to the shading and lighting.
Great idea and momento!!!