Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Under construction


Our home looks like a construction zone. When Brian told a friend he has a big project to do, his friend asked what it was. Brian's reply was: nesting. I did notice that he had no qualms about moving all the stuff out of the front room and thus getting creative in our organizing all the stuff we've somehow accumulated since getting a house. In a way it's good not to have too much storage space, because you have to keep posessions to a minimum. On the other hand, when you need to make room, it can get frustrating. But Brian's totally in the groove now. When I told him we had to make room and empty both closets for the nursery, a couple of years ago, he wanted to know why a baby needed both the closet spaces in the small room!!! Now, Ivan seems to have more stuff than us, certainly more clothes, but then we don't grow out of ours every few months! The good news is that not only has everything found a new place, we are more organized and my least favorite room is now more homey and pleasant. I'm hoping it will be a place of much enjoyment.

We had been storing lawn and garden stuff, pet stuff, stuff that needed to be thrown away and tools in the laundry area, now it's an art studio! OK, maybe studio is a bit too fancy a word for it! The best part is that we redid a cabinet where I now have all our art supplies as well as Brian's power tools- not a likely combination, but maybe we'll call it the creative building cabinet. Before, I had the supplies in crates under the table, so when I needed something, I had to crawl and dig, not to mention the added challenge since Ivan has gotten bigger of keeping him out of the supplies that were all too enticing at ground level.

Meanwhile, Brian moved and rearranged, scraped the accoustic tile off the ceiling, cleaned the walls as best as possible and has it all taped off and ready to paint. I'm not supposed to paint, so I'm letting him do all but the decorative stuff which I'll do wearing a mask and trying to vent the room well.

Ivan of course wanted to be in the middle of it all. We had a good laugh when we noticed how he had put back all the tools in the toolbox after playing with it. He had the tray empty and upside down over a heap of tools. Brian is very methodogical and there is only enough room in the box if everything is placed just so. Ivan didn't get that down quite right. For this picture, he did at least put the top tray the right side up, so I guess he'll get the hang of it too eventually.

I had an audio post up, but the recording was so poor, I deleted it. I have to figure out a system to do that. To post them, I have to do it over the phone, but Ivan won't babble into the phone, at best, he will say "hi... uh... oh... hum" imitating what we do when actually having a two way conversation. The camera records well, but when I pull it out, he won't talk, he wants to take pictures with it or look at the pictures on it. He is babbling away all the time though and I'd love to share it with you, so we'll keep trying to find a workable system. Some day, I'm sure he'll talk into the phone and tell the world all about his day. That could get interesting!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Max won't talk on the phone, unless I'm on the phone...then he wants to talk over me! But if I put it on speaker phone he talks away. Have fun nesting away!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you posted a lot lately. I'm impressed of all those things you do.
I'm looking forward to see pictures of the little one. How long to go?

GMS said...

Your life is really "Under Construction" now.
We'll keep tuning in for upcoming episodes.
Sounds very challenging!

Madame Angela Baggett said...

Deana- we used to have a speaker phone and it worked well, but now we don't and Ivan REALLY wants me when I'm on the phone, but won't talk into it. It's an agravating thing. He knows I'm busy and screams away!
Andrea-only about 9 weeks to go! I still have 3 major projects to finish, but they are inching along, well 2 of the 3 anyways.
GMS- we are having fun getting ready, but I'm also looking forward to when it's done and just relaxing and having a baby... OK, so maybe it won't be so much relaxing!!!

Kimberley said...

Brian looks pretty handy. Do you rent him out?

Ian said...

Does this mean all the construction will be finished by the time Ruth and I get there?

Anonymous said...

Ian: by all means no. There'salways more.

Ian said...

I'm looking forward to it. Construction is always so much fun because you see immeadiate results from your work which is not like teaching where it could be years before someone tells you how you influenced them.

Madame Angela Baggett said...

Kim- Brian is getting handier all the time- I guess that is what having a house does to a guy! I'm not sure how he always gets the messiest job! We've got pics from doing insulation under the house and in the roof and it always seems Brian gets the worst of it!

Dad- I guess it's confession time. I have a few jobs left to do and the thought did cross my mind that if one of the big ones (making the cabinet/bookshelf/toybox) isn't done, maybe you'd help when you got here! I hope to have it done though. I got the clouds done today, so that's another one done!