Saturday, April 08, 2006

Beautiful but blustering

We were wore out, but it was worth it. One of our adopted grandmas, Wynetta and I like to make a drive out to Anson to visit our friend Mary, once a week or when we can make it. We've been going since she was placed there, before Ivan was born and everyone loves to see Ivan come in! A couple of weeks ago, we went without Ivan, since he was in the middle of a nap and Brian was available to stay with him. The first thing Mary said was: Where's Ivan? Like we don't matter or anything! During this visit, Mary's speech therapist asked her who came to visit her, since she had seen us... again Mary replied: Ivan. Yep, we're just chauffeurs!

Ivan and Mary rode in style, while Wynetta and I pushed them over rocky terrain into the center of town where we've found this cute park. It was very windy, which made it a bit miserable, but it kept the heat at bay. We were hoping Mary would get to see some bluebonnets. We had seen some in the ditches along the highway, but not many since it has been so dry. The park had beautiful smatterings of the state flower, so we were very happy to have made the effort to get there!

Ivan and Wynetta enjoyed feeding the fish in the pond. Ivan kept scaring me when he'd run off to check them out, but we didn't have to fish him out ;) We met world travelers once at this park. The retired couple were on bikes and spoke with european accents. We asked them where they were from and where they had been. They were from Germany and had been biking and camping 1 1/2 years visiting Germany, Austria, India, Afghanistan and other amazing places, then flew to the states and came from California to Texas (by bike) to eat lunch in the little park we had a hard time finding in this tiny town called Anson! They had another 1/2 year to go and were going to tour more of Europe! Can you imagine?

If money and time were not a problem, would you bike all over and camp like that to see the world? What would you like to do for a year for fun?

5 comments:

Madame Angela Baggett said...

There is no way I would have the patience, stamina or interest to travel the world by bike! I like seeing new places and biking, but the drive from Texas to Saskatchewan, full of flat plains and open sky is enough to drive me nuts and seems to go on forever. By bike would be torturous for me.

However, with faster locomotion, at least as fast as a car, I think it would be fun to travel and see new places and cultures... I'm just not sure I'd want to do it for a whole year.

Anonymous said...

Well, going by bike is a bit...well, it takes a long time. But if I would be in good shape I would do it. You need a whole year to do so and I guess it would be a lot of fun.

Kimberley said...

If money were not a problem, why would I bike around the world when I could go in a comfortable plane, train, or car? I would for sure travel all over. I still plan to, except that now money is an issue!

Janet said...

I dream of travelling like that all the time! I have been on a few trips that way (only for 3 days) and it is a great way to travel. You see things that you wouldn't if you speed by in a car. My friend and I rescued a turtle of the road in Florida that cars weren't seeing! It's great to see how little you can live with too!

Madame Angela Baggett said...

I just love the diversity! For some it would be a dream come true, for others a nightmare and some would like a little taste, but not so extreme! Your comments made me lol- (laugh out loud).