Monday, April 03, 2006

Parting is such sweet sorrow

I realized that I should share the wealth and divulge of some of Ivan's baby clothes. Despite the fact that we have "our girl and boy" now, or will soon, we still want more kids, so I had thought of keeping Ivan's clothes for the next boy. But, all our clothes were given to us and I already see where the Lover has started even providing for our little girl, so it's only right that I keep the flow going and share with some who I know could really use the clothes. Shanna's twin sisters are both expecting, one is having a boy in the next couple of weeks, so I went through Ivan's closet, down memory lane and packed up any blatantly boy clothes.

It was hard. I'm excited (now) to share, but these are no longer just clothes. They are links to Ivan's babyhood, his growing up and our memories. I would pick up an outfit and remember him in it, how cute he was and how I loved seeing him in it. Of course it was him, not the clothes that was so cute, but they took me back in time, like a song that triggers fond memories. If I'm going to teach Ivan that not everything is "mine, mine, mine", to share and that he is not the center of the universe, I have to start by example. It's healthy for both of us. We know so many people with open homes, hearts and who would honestly give you the shirt off their back, even if they only had that to give. I'm not that way naturally. I hoard and collect and keep. I have to force myself to give, but now that I am sharing these clothes that I know were such a treasure trove for us and I know will be equally so for another, I feel freer and happier. For one thing, we won't have hoards of clothes stacked in closets in the eventuality that we'll have another boy, some day. Plus, we will bring this wealth of clothes to another, bringing them joy and some necessities of life. Most of all, it reminds us and affirms in us that our confidence is not in WHAT we have, but in Who we know. We see the Lover taking care of us daily and can trust in that relationship more than in something physical, but oh, so fleeting.

2 comments:

GMS said...

What goes around, comes around; but, you should probably save some "special" things, however you might define that. It is fun to have some items to pass along.

jenn with two n's said...

I agree. I have far too much of my own stuff. John is quite sure that we won't need to buy clothes for our little bundle...he's sure we'll be showered with much. Life is about blessings--giving and receiving them.