Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Speeding up now





Now that the walls are up in the basement, things are really moving fast. Brian is finishing up the last of the subfloor as I write. Since the basement is cement, which is cold and not very comfortable to live in, he's covered it all in once inch board and OSB board. I haven't even got a picture of it yet, but it looks and feels so nice! Dad is coming Sun. and they will be drywalling. Brian has calculated that it will take about 80 sheets! That's a lot of drywall. There are all the exterior walls, the inside walls and the ceilings, about 900 square feet, so the size of a small house down there! I'm getting so excited about having that space, except not too excited about setting it up as we don't really have furniture for down there, but hoping to find some good deals when the time is right.

This is in Dominique's room. She gets a closet under the stairs and a cubby for playing in. She and Emora have already been playing there for months, so it will be a fun space once actually finished.

Today was so incredibly gorgeous outside! It was just a snippit below freezing, the sun was shining in the blue sky, the wind wasn't blowing and we'd just gotten about a foot of fresh snowfall last night. It was sparkling and so white. Brian shoveled half the driveway, so then I tackled the other half this morning while the girls played house in the snow bank. Brian was just wondering where we would put all the snow, since it is technically not winter yet and we already had banks 3 or 4 feet high beside the driveway, when a neighbor stopped by and volunteered to snowblow our banks further into the yard! The girls were thrilled to watch him with his machine shooting snow 15 feet up into the yard. It was pretty dramatic.

I pulled Dominique on a sled to school to get Ivan and our cousin Kellen, they took turns riding in the sled back to our house and we got working on a quinzy/igloo out of the giant pile of snow in the backyard. It was lots of fun. Dad always makes quinzies, so I figure that is where I got it from.

But when I walked into the house, I realized that I am not a kid anymore as every muscle in my body started to scream at me! I may not be able to lift my arms, or walk tomorrow! I'm thinking a hot bath is in order too. But days like today make me so thankful to be somewhere so incredibly beautiful.

1 comment:

Ian said...

It will be fun to rock the walls!