Sunday, December 05, 2010

Before the water froze

This picture was taken at the lamp post in Narnia. Just kidding. It's in my cousin's yard, but may have been Narnia if you compare it to Texas. We will definitely have a white Christmas. I remember my first winter in Texas. It didn't snow. One day there were the smallest hint of snow flutters that accumulated in a crack in the sidewalk and when I realized that was the extent of winter, I nearly cried. I just hadn't thought that there were places in North America where it didn't snow all winter long! Since then, I've had many non white Christmasses, and one white Christmas in Texas.

Here it's been snowing at least once a week, some weeks nearly every day! There is a lot of snow in the ground and a bunch mounded into a hill across from our house. So my new routine is to dress the girls up, go get Ivan from school (and 3 times a week Kellen also) and we sled for a while, if it's warm enough, which it has been.



Other winter joys have been weekly jaunts to the skating rink which I am still so amazed that it's FREE! They play music and barely anyone is there with their kids on the ice. You would think it would be a very popular activity, being free and all, but not many parents take advantage of it. Of course, I haven't taken the kids yet on the weekend when it's free for open skate times yet. One of Ivan's classmates invited us to skate on the lake at their house. We'll have to take them up on it, but I'm not sure the ice is thick enough yet. He said someone already has an ice fishing shack out there, but I also heard that some guys brand new truck sunk last year out there. I want a good 3 feet of thick ice between us, our skates and the liquid bottom- cause I sure don't want to go for a swim this time of the year!


The ski hill opened up here and I am anxious one day to get to go try it. I'm 98% sure it is not recommended with my knee as it is, so I will be a good girl and wait until they have my knee fixed, but some day that will be so totally awesome! The only thing I hate is that it will be expensive, but I'm thinking that will make nice momma gifts some day ;)

Speaking of my knee, I have a date with an MRI. We are finally going to find out why it's being a pain in the ...knee and hopefully can get to a solution soon. My MRI is scheduled for Dec. 23rd which is the day we want to go to Stoon, so we will pack that morning, drive to Regina, then on to my parents for Christmas. It will be so awesome!


These pictures were taken before the rivers and lake froze obviously. There are so many beautiful scenes if your eyes are open to see them.

2 comments:

Ian said...

You live in one of the nicest places in Saskatchewan, that is for sure.

Olivia said...

I really thought you were on the set of Narnia when I first began reading!!! LOL. I was like, "I didn't know they filmed it in Canada!"