Sunday, February 01, 2009

Precious moments

Children have a way of speeding up and slowing down our lives. They force us to get out into the community- go to parades we wouldn't have gone to, kid's activities and events. They automatically give us the right and obligation to be questioned and question complete strangers that have kids the same age or connect in some way to these little toddlers. They make mornings a mayhem of little socks and shoes and "not that kind of cereal, I want..." But they also slow us down. "Mommy can you come color with me?", "Come make bubbles with me", "read to me mommy". This is how I was found outside with Dominique and Ivan one sunny afternoon this week. I had a myriad of things to do including vacuuming the carpets, but the children wanted me outside with them NEEDED me outside with them, so I went. Emora was sleeping and we had the monitor so we'd know if she was crying. The kids didn't really need my help, they just needed me to be near them and I needed them too. It turned out to be one of my most delightful moments this week. The sun was warm and shining. The children were happily playing. I put my feet up, sat and just took it all in, admiring a bird who came to observe us on the nearby fence and wondering at the beauty of it all- being thankful.


Another great moment from the week was my LOL kids time- (laugh out loud happenstance). I had just fed Emora and was burping her. I had her sitting on our bed and she had her head lolled forward as she does usually. Dominique and Ivan sat next to her and started to imitate Emora's body stance, flopping their heads forward and making low moaning like noises. The threesome looked like some weird toddler monk conference all circled up and performing a ritualistic prayer or something. They were so hilarious!


These pics are from a photo shoot I did last week. Most are with just the girls since Ivan had his nose out of joint, wanting all the attention for himself. Sharing can be hard. I think these last two of the girls are so sweet. The pretty pose, then the goofy girls together pose. I have the feeling they are going to be a couple of crack ups as they grew up together.

haven't asked a question in a while... what was your best moment this week?

4 comments:

Katie said...

I was just thinking about you while I was putting Maddy down for the night and wondering if things were settling down for you. I'm so glad to hear that things are going well!

To answer your question, one of my best moments this week was doing my Mommy and me workout DVD with Maddy. She really seems to enjoy it, and it's great for me, too!! :)

Anonymous said...

My best moment was when I finished my tutorial with some laughts and thanks. My students write today their exam and I hope they will all make it.

However, my worst moment was my weekend. Long working hours, stupid people who didn't do what they were suppose to do and some not so nice flatmates (which they didn't do on purpose but nevertheless).

Kimberley said...

I guess my best moment last week was sleeping in on Saturday. I was pretty tired all week, and I think a little run down too. Being able to stay in bed and not worry about getting the day started was so nice. Even the cats let me sleep!

jenn with two n's said...

I love the last photo--Emora looks like she's winking...yes she may be a ham too...we shall see. I had some great moments but this past weekend we got to meet up with old friends and met some new ones. A couple and their 17 month old son were visiting church and we invited them over for lunch--we connected with them so well and even have commonalities we would have never guessed. So old friendships rekindled and new ones sparked.