Sunday, February 22, 2009

Our weekend


We have had a fairly adventurous weekend. I had to do a CPR refresher course, that was supposed to last only about an hour, but I pumped some milk for Emora's first attempt with a bottle. I hadn't made much since Ivan and Dominique never took much with the bottle and really didn't do well their first time. I guess I should not have used those guidelines, because the class took 2 1/2 hours and Emora drank every drip from the bottle like she'd been doing it for months, then looked at her daddy as if to say "is that all you've got?" I could hardly believe it when he told me. She is by far our most enthusiastic eater so far.

Yesterday we had a surprise. A friend called up saying that she had tickets to the circus for 2 adults and 3 kids, but couldn't go because of work commitments. Brian zipped out and picked up the tickets while I fed and loaded up the kids so that we could get there on time. The kids loved it. The best act was the motorcyclists in a metal spherical dome riding around like crazies. Half way through, they had an intermission and it was hilarious to listen to the people behind us with their observations. They were noticing all the kids throwing fits. By this time it was 8:30pm (ie. past bedtime for about half the crowd). Parents were hauling screeming kids throwing fits up the stairs, some even left.

We were not immune. In between each act the ring master tried to sell junk to all the families and Ivan was smitten. When we left, he was still crying about not getting more treats than what we had gotten. To change the subject, I asked him what his favorite part of the circus was and he answered in a pouty voice: "My favorite part was when you were frustrated at me".

Unfortunately, Emora and Dominique have been all snotty nosed and coughing through the night and today. Dominique just told me her stomach hurt and that she needed medicine. I told her I didn't have medicine for her stomach and she said she needed ice cream as her medicine.

I should go get the camera right now. Dominique is playing with her sister. She took off Emora's jacket and socks, is pouring the socks on her head, trying to hold her, wanting to change her diaper and Emora is just beaming at her with love and admiration. It's beautiful.

We got some family pics Valentine's day at our friend's house. In the second picture, you can see Emora smiling again. The kids are: Jase (Olivia and Bryan's foster son), Lily (Tighe and Greg's daughter), our threesome and Isaiah (Tighe and Greg's son).

5 comments:

Katie said...

Sounds like you guys had a good weekend!! I can't wait until Maddy's old enough to enjoy things like the circus. I'm sure we won't be immune to a few tantrums here and there, but we'll survive... just like everyone else!! :)

Anonymous said...

Lucky you and not so lucky friend. Free tickets to the circus. There's always excitement when there's a mix of entertainment, treats, kids and bedtime. Ivan, the best time was when you, "frustrated mom"! Oh, oh mom he's only 4! Looks like a fun Valentine get together.

Anonymous said...

That second picture is great. It perfectly fills my 24" screen. A great new desktop. Thanks

Grampa Ray

jenn with two n's said...

Seeing this picture of the kids and knowing what they and their families have gone through--reason to cheer! Like Isaiah with his arms in the air. Love the stories of your threesome!

Ian said...

Thanks for sharing.