Saturday, May 31, 2008

It's stinking hot here


I kept telling Dominique not to eat the sand. It did give her a funny looking goatee.





I made the mistake of telling the kids I'd take them to the park today when I needed to get them out of the house. What was I thinking? The minute I stepped out of the car which was blasting cold air conditioned air on us, I knew I'd made a mistake. There isn't any shade in the play area, so I convinced the duo to have a snack on a bench in the shade, then they swung a little bit. I kept trying to lure them back to the car, but Ivan wanted to go everywhere in the play area. The park was nearly deserted and that should have been another clue that it is not hang out outside weather. There was a big brother with his little and they stayed about 5 minutes saying "it sure is hot" over and over (mostly from the adult- who carried his iced drink everywhere).

The only way to be outside is to be in water. We are fortunate to have a kiddy pool and our neighbor just gave us this slip-n-slide. Tomorrow we are going to a friend's who has an above ground pool.

I did house sit for a while for a friend who lives out of town and got to see some countryside. While it was hot out, I could take refuge in the house. It was so peaceful out there, beautiful green fields framed with forests and deer grazing in a field of wheat. Reminded me of my parent's house. After everyone was gone and I had checked everything out and turned out lights, I heard a sneeze from near the forest's edge. I shined my flashlight to see who may be lurking around and saw a frantic deer bound off. When I told Ivan about it, he thought that was just hilarious that the deer sneezed. I thought it pretty funny myself. Didn't know they could sneeze.

What do you do when it's hot out?

7 comments:

Ian said...

It was hot out today in Saskatoon, about 23 degrees C. So I stayed outside for most of the day doing gardening, mowing, weeding and stuff like that.

GMS said...

I was going to say "Hot is relative". Here "hot" is 80's and not too bad. We do put window air conditioners in eventually.
Right now the window fans are handling the mid 70's nice.

Don't be too jealous!

We played with the twins out in the yard on Friday.

Nana said...

Very timely blog with the temps expected in the mid 90's for the first half of this week. Soooo I've loaded up on fresh fruit (watermelon, cantalope, grapes, berries and plenty of water. Not that this is going to cool me off at work, but break times will be tasty and refreshing. Oh, sun block, wide brim hat, sunglasses and look for sprinklers running in my customers yards help also.

Lin said...

When, and that is a big WHEN the weather is hot up here I just like to sit out in the sun and enjoy the few hot days we get! Like someone said Hot is relative!

Nana said...

I agree lin. When my nephew would say it was 115 F in Ar. we would say "it's a dry heat, our humidity makes it seem much worse". He would respond, "115 F is pretty hot anyway you look at it". True!!

Trail Rider said...

agree to be near or in water! your little boy isn't so little anymore. has he ever sprouted in these last few months! how are you feeling? are you sick? hope not....

Ivan sure has your eyes

Pamela said...

These days when I'm feeling unbearably hot I ask Autumn and Andrew if they want to have a snowball fight with me. They laugh at me but I simply retreat into my imagination and make snow forts and snow angels...call me silly but it makes me feel better. :)