Tuesday, January 31, 2006

4 generations of Baggett men

We had a nice little trip to Granite Shoals, TX to see great-grandpa Baggett then on to Austin to take grandpa Ray to his plane to head back home. Ivan was a bit sick and grouchy and so was great-grandpa Baggett, but I think that is his usual self. I've never had much relationship with my grandparents. Grandpa MacLeod (my dad's dad) lived with us about 15 years or so, but he had alzheimers. Dad said he was always kind of gruff and distant, the alzheimers didn't help any. Great-grandpa Baggett isn't very friendly either and can be downright mean to his son and grandson, but he seemed to warm up to Ivan. Kids just do that! As much as we love Mr. Griffin, he doesn't have good relationships with his kids either, but he thinks Ivan is the highlight of everyone's day.

We did get this 4 generations picture and got to look at old pictures. We saw a picture with Ivan's great-great-great grandmother and her baby (Brian's great-grandmother). That was amazing. It's so captivating to see how the lineage was passed down and even the short visit helped me learn more about Brian and his family (for better or for worse, right? ;).

3 comments:

Lady J said...

I know all about grumpy old men (my grandpa is the same!) but it's nice to see you can see past it and what a great opportunity for Ivan...great-grandpa won't be around forever, so take advantage now or you will live to regret it later! Really you will!!!

Anonymous said...

It's pretty amazing that you have four generations there. I myself only have 3 here in Germany. I hope for four but it seems very unlikely due to ther circumstances. Luckly my grandparents were never grumpy.

GMS said...

I hope for the better!
Knowlege is Power.
The more you know about a person's background the better you can deal with it.
I've heard some cute stories of ways Ray's mom would be able to tease and get around his dad.