Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Eating their young

Some people in parenting magazines joke about understanding why some species eat their young. I totally can't identify with the eating part, but there are days...

The good thing for Ivan at this point is that we found out he has a double ear infection. The infection is not a good thing, but at least it helps us strum up some compassion for him when he is about to send us over the edge. I'm not sure if he's just hurting really bad (please, may this be it) or if he is exibiting some of those famous two year old behaviors (please no!), but he is pushing the limits.

Normally, Ivan responds well to being able to choose right from wrong with the 3 count and slap (Lin told me it worked with Harley and I'd been leaning toward that, it has been good, he has the power to decide, but there are consequences for disobeying). But this hasn't worked much the past couple of days and he has been trying to rip apart or get into everything (I know "sign of intelligence"- think positive). I could have used that today, "there's my SMART boy, DISCOVERING, the properties of food and gravity all at the same time while he dumped the olives all over the floor).

Instead of showing me the sign for "full" or waving his head "no" when he was full today, he flung his food all over and showed me he wanted the bowl. I tried to let him feed himself and he'd go from sweet boy learning to eat, to fearsome power, flinging, tossing, throwing. It didn't make matters better that I had just gotten the wall clean (sacrificing the texture to the scrub pad) and now there was spagetti sauce and chunks of stuff on it again!

But there have been bright moments of the day. He did well at the grocery store (he loves going out and wants everyone to see what a good boy he is). He also succumbed to one of my survival tactics. When he repeatedly begged for my coffee (oh, yeah, did I mention we were both up all night- add tired to the list), I poured his unfinished milk in a mug, heated it and watched him enjoy his "coffee", oh so delighted to be like the adults with their "adult drinks" (John ;)

Here's Ivan on another happy moment from a few days ago. I made the sign and said the words for drink and he enthusiastically responded, but he got lost when I asked if he wanted milk, juice or water. So, I placed all three in front of him. I thought he'd just pick out the one he wanted. Instead, he became very serious. This was his first wet bar all to himself and he had to make a caculated decision. He picked up each drink one by one and drank from it. Then decided he liked the juice best (I could have told him that! But how much better for him to figure it out all by himself!)

We would appreciate any and all prayers for wisdom, patience, love, patience, sleep, health, patience and some more of those parental tricks.

5 comments:

Kimberley said...

Don't forget than when faced with the choice of being good or doing bad that we will sometimes choose what is most fun. Unfortunately, what is fun (throwing food at the wall and making Mom mad)isn't always the "good" choice!

Lady J said...

I'd love to help you out here...but I'm havin my own crisis with my son! How very funny for you to write (today!)about some species eating their young...I know exactly how you feel~now go read my blog from yesterday!!! Great minds think alike! Anyone else leaving comments is welcome to link to my blog too and read about my parenting problems and offer me any advice~we'll make this a joint effort!!! Now I do know for sure that it gets worse (way worse!) before it gets better~you haven't even hit the real terrible twos yet! But I do know that you'll always find the patience, usually only by the grace of God, to miraculously get you through! Then put him to bed early (even it that means 5pm and he must play in his crib for 4 hrs before falling asleep!) have a nice hot bubble bath, and if you weren't pregnant I'd tell you to have a good stiff drink and go to bed early yourself and remember that tomorrow is a brand new day for both of you!!!! That is the only thing that gets me through some days...or maybe it's all the alcohol I've started consuming! (Just kidding...don't all freak out on me now!) Good luck and know that you are an amazing mom and doing a great job!

Anonymous said...

Owie ear aches are the worst! I'm there with ya on screamin 2 yr. olds! Praying you get some rest tonight!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear that you had such day or days for that matter. Since I have no child I can't give good advice. I shall ask my mom but as fare as I remember we didn't do that too often. *g* So now walls with food on them. *lol* It is somewhat funny though to read about it. But I am sure it's a little nightmare for you.

GMS said...

Ivan looks so cute when pensive making a "big" decision. Every day is a unique challenge and, most of the time, there is not way to anticipate what will come next no matter what the books may say.
Just follow your own little voice tempered with the love I know you overflow with.