Friday, January 06, 2006

Parental insanity

There are crazy things that happen to a person when they become a parent. I'm seeing this in myself and as I see it in myself, I am understanding what I've seen all those years in my parents, (and shook my head at in their craziness)... unadulterated pride. I mean you would have thought he had taken humanities' first step on the moon the way we were acting, cheering, celebrating, full of pride. Ivan, I'm sure, thinks he accomplished some monumental feat, and for us it was. But to the rest of humanity, this is so minute, so ordinary, so basic, they would surely look upon our ecstatic cheering as lunacy.

So, what did he do, you ask? Well... he got a potty chair for christmas and he peed in it the second time we put him on it! Ok, I know you're saying "AND... That made you go off your rocker with pride?" Yep, it sure did. We honestly felt like Ivan had to be a genuis or something. I told you it was crazy. Even as I write it, I feel silly. But I'm telling you the honest, raw emotional truth. We were dancing, giving the boy an m'n'm, cheering, clapping and making Ivan feel like a master of something spectacular. Speaking of which, did I mention that he has now peed in the potty a total of 4 times? (Twice today). See, I told you parents are crazy. I mean why would they brag about such things? Please hear me though. I'm not saying we are extraordinary parents, or that Ivan is some kind of Einstein. I'm just telling you the crazy things that happen in a parent's brain and emotions as they see their child accomplish new tasks. I mean really, blogging about his first non-diapered peeing? How menial, trivial, silly, insane... it was totally AMAZING! 4 times already! Can you believe it? The doctor said to start him at 18 months! Well, he could be doing #2 in the potty by then... I'm sure you are on the edge of your seat, anxious to hear about that one! Insane really. (4 times!)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are not crazy. Ivan IS a genius!!!

If you display your pride in his obviously early mastery, by dancing, cheering, ecstatic applause, then in my humble grandparental opinion "you have handled the situation perfectly" if not somewhat reservedly.

You may tell Ivan that his grandpa is doing a dance in his honor at this very moment.

Anonymous said...

What could make a mother and father more happy? The day they realize they are one step closer to not having to change another stinky diaper!!! I know by time you have him trained you will have to start changing an infant but not quite so stinky the first few months. I mean I was jumping for joy when I realized Harley was ready to use the potty. They say boys have a harder time of potty training, you obviously have some kind of genius. I'm hoping and crossing my fingers that he progresses well for you. Well I could not be prouder for you! Like his grampa ray said, "I am doing a dance in his honour!" Yippee!!! Lin

jenn with two n's said...

Auntie Jenn completely agrees. The "NO MORE DIAPERS!" cheer is on the horizon--for Ivan that is. Way to go Ivan! Your auntie is proud.

Anonymous said...

tell Ivan Aunt Cathy say's thanks I asked him before Christmas to get potty trained so you would not have to buy anymore diapers. He really is an advanced child! He is already sensitive to the fact that another new bottom is on the way that will need diapers.

Madame Angela Baggett said...

We have to give credit where credit is due and that is in the Lover who is so creative to invent the process, and help it come about. I know we haven't got the answers, but we feel very gently, reassuringly and with destination the hand of the Lover on our lives and in our son and child to be. I mean, in some ways it doesn't make sense for us to be having kids at this point, and yet here we are, given all we need and on top of it, the joy of kids. We are undeserving, but oh, so thankful. And as for anything he may learn early or well or uniquely, we also give thanks to the Friend of friends for His hand on Ivan and all that He has for him. It would be nice if that included only one diapered bottom at a time!

Anonymous said...

Somehow I read that phrase as God "is so creative to invent the process, and helps it come out."

That would be more fitting in a potty training tale.

Anonymous said...

You certainly have at least an early bloomer, if not a full out genius on your hands!!! Consider yourselves blessed indeed and rejoice in the little steps, as they soon enough lead to leaps and bounds, and it becomes hard to keep up!!! Way to go Ivan! Way to go mom and dad!!!! Now send me your secret, as I am struggling with a stubborn/strong willed 3 1/2 yr old boy who has grown very attached to his diapers, and refuses to give them up just yet! Wanna trade!?

Kimberley said...

Be grateful and brag all you want!

My "kids" have always used their box, but I still have to clean it everyday. If I had the energy to potty train them I'd be shouting from the rooftops!

Anonymous said...

I am not so much surpised that he learned it that quick. He is very intelligent and figures things out qick (except that one time when he used the pen the wrong way). Yet, it seems that he knows what makes you happy and what causes a good reaction. Way to go Ivan!

Jenni said...

Yea Ivan! I am so proud of you little man. You will have to show Myka how that potty thing works. :) What a big boy!