Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Heard the little one swimming

We had doctor visit #2 today. It went very well. She gave me her philosophy of episiotomes which reassured me (her two rules were only if the baby wasn't coming out or if time was critical due to baby's heartbeat) and said that mine had healed up perfectly and the previous doc. had sewed it up excellently. (I know you didn't want to hear all that. My mom probably did though).

We got to hear the heartbeat, barely. Apparently this one thinks he/she is in an olympic training pool and was doing a few laps, so mostly the machine picked up wild wooshing sounds. Then all of a sudden, some thump, thump, thump, that brought tears to my eyes and a smile to my face. It is just so INCREDIBLE! I don't think I could ever tire of it, even if we had 10 kids, and no, we won't be having 10 kids!!!

We may find out if the little one's a he or she next month when we get a sonogram (the 20th), plus we have a regular visit the 14th. We really liked the doctor this time, so that was good. Part of me was still wondering if we should change doctors now before we were too far into it, but I think we like her now.

In the meantime, grandad Ray was at home with Ivan (bless you grandad). The 1st visit with the doctor took all day as she had a delivery. We were sequestered off into little waiting rooms with NO TOYS (apart from what the diaper bag held), through a nap time and snack. It was aweful. SO, since Grandpa Ray was here and just LOVES to play with Ivan, he agreed to watch him while we took off. Of course they had fun... Grandpa chassed Ivan (which he loves) and pushed him in a box and gave him a snack, he even dried Ivan's shirt in the dryer since it was coated in droll!

Here grandpa Ray shares his life wisdom with a fascinated Ivan.

5 comments:

Jenni said...

How Exciting! Baby in the womb is a swimmer! I am so thrilled for you all and I can't wait to meet Ivan's baby brother or sister.

Anonymous said...

glad your appointment went well. i remember the first time i heard max's heartbeat...I started laughing and it messed it up and we didn't get to hear it again till the next appointment.

Kimberley said...

We tested the accuracy of the ultrasound at work last week. My coworker was going for her 2nd ultrasound and was going to find out the sex of her baby. We wanted to know which (if any) of the old wive's tales would work. By dangling her engagement ring over the belly - it indicated a girl. Dangling a crystal was underminate. Using Chinese astronomy it predicted a boy.

And science said.. it's a boy.

So, using similar reasoning, I predict that this one will be ... a girl! I can hardly wait to see it that's true.

Anonymous said...

There's nothing like the miracle of science to bring the miracle of one tiny being to life on a computer screen! Four years later I still stare at Harrison's ultrasound picture in awe and revel in the fact that he was once inside me and swimming and swirling around, so tiny and perfect. It is truely amazing and a precious gift from God. Treasure every moment of growth from inside you, even when it means putting up with those kicks and pokes in your side and under your ribs...it won't last forever!

GMS said...

I was glad Grandpa Ray could be there for y'all for as long as he was. It was a special time.