Thursday, February 03, 2011

So nice out!!!

It was above freezing today, so knee problem or not, we had to get out. I really, REALLY wanted to walk up to get Ivan, but I'm guessing it is still too early for that and I'm afraid I'd get there and not be able to make it home. I've already figured that if that happened, I would beg a ride from someone, so it wouldn't be the end of the world, but maybe I should try some shorter walks first and see how that goes.



So I drove to get Ivan and we went out to get pictures of Emora. She is now 2 and I will need to work on her portrait when I have gotten some of my other pressing paint projects done, like all my house dreams. So it won't be for a little while, but who knows how long the warm snap will last or when we might have another one!

The kids loved getting out and we saw some creature swimming in the river! Ivan was freaking out about crocodiles and then they really did see something swimming. They looked terrified. I didn't see it and told them it must have been the crocodile, which didn't help them any, then a lady walked by and told us there really was something in the water and she told me the name, which I forgot. She said it was a relative to a muscrat or something. Then she showed me where it was, so that was amazing.


We also went "mountain climbing". Ivan actually had "mountain climbing" as part of his gym class this week, when they went out for outside gym class. They had a whole mountain range here, but we didn't stay too long. I couldn't chase them, neither could Emora and they were starting to get cold. I'd already had to help Dominique perform an outdoor emergency potty spot in the snow, good thing we'd had lots of practice in the days when she always wanted to pee outside with the boys, way back when I kept kids (pre Emora days).



Our other cool sighting was this. I don't remember people shoveling snow from roofs growing up, but apparently it is all the fad now. Emora thought they were pretty funny and kept pointing saying "shovel" and giggling.

5 comments:

jenn with two n's said...

It was an awesome day. We were outside too today. Love the light jackets...one brings back memories for me ;)
Glad you're recovering ok and that you were able to get out and enjoy the great day. Love you.

Ian said...

The only time that we had to shovel snow was the very first house that you lived in at 2022 McKinnon Ave. The snow was particularly heavy and because of poor insulation there was enough heat escaping that an ice dam formed near the edge of the roof. That traps water under the snow and it starts to back up under the shingles. To prevent the water from backing up into the inside of the walls the snow has to be removed.

Nana said...

We were hoping for snow, but so far all we have is ice!!! I know you must have enjoyed your "above" freezing day. The "snow bunnies" look very happy to be out and about.

Kimberley said...

Don't you just love winter warm snaps? Nathan and I went out too, but it sounds like you had way more fun!

Jason's parents had to have the snow from their roof cleared this year too (in Moose Jaw). Apparently it was getting into the house from some of the vents. In Calgary we can usually just wait for a Chinook to melt it all away!

Anonymous said...

I am hoping GPA Ian has fire in the belly if the snow on the roof is not an issue.