Friday, November 05, 2010

Finding gems



It's hard to let go of the old and take hold of the new- to leave the familiar for the unfamiliar. There were so many things we loved about Abilene, but it was time to move on. Then when you get somewhere new, everything is new and it's hard to treasure the new gems while feeling so disoriented and also while our hearts are broken still over leaving those we knew, the place we had called home for so long.

However, as we start into the stage of being settled here, I am being surprised by little gems of beauty or treasure that comes our way...

I have been missing all the free cultural things that I could participate in with the kids in Abilene- namely swimming for free at the Y, the awesome library and programs and the free museums.

But today I just discovered a Fort Qu'Appelle substitute. They have FREE skating times at the rink, 3 times a week, at the perfect time (10am), plus a time on some weekends for the older kids to be able to come too. This was the girl's first time ever on skates and they loved it! Dominique was visibly better after 15 min. It will take quite a while before she will be zooming down the ice, but she will get there. After that we went for a treat at the bakery, where I found my favorite donut (chocolate bismark). So we traded a pool down the street for a rink down the street and a lake or 4 in the summer. I just had to reorient my thinking. The only bummer is that the physical therapist said that I should definitely not skate with my knee being jacked up. That ice looked so good too! It was calling my name!!!



The library in town is not spectacular, but in 45 min. I can be at an incredible library or I can order in free materials to borrow using my home computer. You really can't beat that!

I'm sure there are also free museums in Regina, meanwhile, I can look out my living room window and contemplate gorgeous nature, like I have rarely seen.

So really it's a lot of perspective adjustements. This is a good place for us and some day it may even feel like home.

7 comments:

Olivia said...

Ummmm....YEAH! That is totally better than anything FREE here for sure! Except that it is much more dangerous than library time! But isn't that the thrill of life? Go you!

Anonymous said...

I know that feeling of "not home yet". However, for me, it is more about the people than the things I can do or not do. On the other hand, it is difficult to pinpoint the difference. A lot of it is the feeling you get when you are home.

GMS said...

Remember how close you are to extended "family" too. That is very important in feeling "home".

Brian said...

Good words Ang. I needed that.

Janet said...

Just moving from Saskatoon to the Fort took me a LONG time to adjust. It does take a while to find substitutes to fill the voids of things missed. I hope you continue to fill voids quickly!

Monica said...

The Royal Saskatchewan Museum in Regina is free (by donation) and is pretty cool! There are a bunch of animal exhibits on the upper level that are really well done!

Madame Angela Baggett said...

Thanks for the idea Monica! Always like to find cheap/free and fun activities.