Thursday, November 18, 2010

Driving through blizzards and the city adventures

Here is a nice shot of the valley, which is not how it looked today. I had planned to go to the city today, and so like the other times I've tried to go to the city, a blizzard whipped through. I've been warned that the valley will not seem so bad and then you drive out into nasty weather and that's just what happened. It was snowing when I left, but once I got out of the hills it was very low visibility, snow flying all over. But the roads were not icy, so I didn't think it was that bad. The girls and I were on a mission- groceries to buy, skates to sharpen and a pool calling our names.


I called Brian from the store, which was nice and quiet for a change and he was wondering if I was ok. There had been reports saying not to get out and that it was crazy out there. When I left the store, an hour later, I saw what he was talking about. There was a front end loader and big driving snow removal machine going non stop in the parking lot, moving the snow from behind our vehicles.


At this point, I was thankful that Brian had already put our snow tires on and that the van makes a formidable plow when need be. I called Brian and he googled the skate place because I couldn't see the building in front of me. I made it to the store and found the perfect place to sharpen our skates- then headed back to familiar roads to the pool.


The pool we go to has 3 walls of windows, 2 of which face outside. It was so weird to be in the warm water, swimming while we could see a huge flock of canadian geese huddles together on the frozen pond as snow whipped all around them.



I sent up a few prayers for the ride home and was glad to see that there was little snow on the highways and the visibility had actually improved since the morning. It had turned out to be the perfect day for us! No crowds and we survived the huge 2 week supply Superstore run, even had fun chillaxing in the pool.


Then to top it off, Ivan totally made my day. I've felt so bad about having fun with the girls without him while he is in school and thought he would be mad that I'd taken the girls to the pool without him. As he helped me unload mounds of groceries, he asked me how swimming was- and I told him it was great, but that I was sad he could not have come and he said that that was ok, that he'd had so much fun in school! See, he transitioned to it better than I did! I really did miss him, but I guess I need to get over it!

3 comments:

Davis Family said...

YEAH for Ivan!!! Cool kid! Glad you were all safe and sound.

Ian said...

We had a big drift just in front of the garage but the rest of the highway was clear. The worst streets were in Saskatoon where the heavy traffic packed the snow into ice and the sanding trucks haven't been able to keep up.
Glad that you made it back okay and that Ivan likes school.

Anonymous said...

Good to hear you had such a good day dispite the weather, which I still like. Although I have to say that I didn't see a singele sanding truck today.