Sunday, October 17, 2010

Super Saturday!!!

Yesterday was one of the best days ever. We drove into "the city", ie- Regina. The only bummer was that I had a little list of things to buy, but we didn't find what we needed and we were on a tight schedule, so we put the list away and headed to our first fun stop- the main library, that has tons of children's French books, children's books, chapter books, DVDs and CDs, plus all sorts of adults books and one of Brian and my favorites- documentaries. Yeah, we're nerds. The system now allows me to check out tons of materials from all over the province. They also changed the limit of videos from 10 to 20, so I stock up and renew them online then return them here in Fort Qu'Appelle. It totally rocks!!! Speaking of library books, one of the chapter books we read from the library had kids at school making a volcano and it had the recipe at the end, so we of course had to do it too. Since I have tons of green and not so much red food coloring, we opted for an untraditional green lava spill. The kids loved it and were so funny at how excited they were.


After the library, Brian dropped the kids and I off at a pool. This was way better than the Saskatoon ones because they let me take all the kids in by myself. They had a warm kid pool with toys and a slide and fountain, another pool with another slide and an umbrella looking shower in the pool, then another deeper pool with an even bigger slide, then another section with a diving board. Unfortunately there wasn't much place for lap swimming. It cost more to go than in Stoon where kids under 6 were free, but they have a cost for families. For another 25 cents or so, Brian can swim too. So he may join us next time. They also had several family changing rooms, which are great for when I have them all by myself. The building also has a library in it and the pool has 3 sides with windows looking out onto a lake with canadian geese swimming in it. So pretty. The kids also liked the dinosaur skeletons hanging from the high ceiling.



After that, we went to our friends for a belated thanksgiving meal. I lived with Kate and Larry and their 3 teens while going to University in Regina and we've been friends ever since. She now paints and gave me 2 paintings!!! so happy :) She also sent me with a loan of books on indoor painting ideas and the leftovers which were so yummy!

It was so weird to drive out of the valley and realize we were in Saskatchewan still! That sounds weird, but while in town, I forget we are in Sask. It just feels different here. But when we drive out and are surrounded by farmer's fields instead of hills, it hit me that we are still here!

Brian is having a hard time adjusting, so maybe it is a blessing in disguise that he will get to have a short reprieve. He hasn't been able to sell his truck in the Northern US, and wants to get it out before winter gets crazy here, so he is going to drive it back to Texas in early Nov. then fly back. We're praying he will get recharged there among all our friends, in the land of free pecans, easy truck inspections and fried catfish ;)

3 comments:

Nana said...

and sausage biscuits!

Ian said...

I hope that he gets a good price for his truck. It is way better than mine!

Madame Angela Baggett said...

oh yes, sausage biscuits! I bet he'll be eating some of those ;) And the doctor here said his cholestrol was excellent!
-yeah dad, I hope so too, unfortunately he will need to buy another truck to replace it, but we are thinking he'll need a 4x4 anyways.